Alterations

no97

Question. I have a Cubs Mitchell & Ness jacket that I recieved for my birthday a few years ago. It's like the photo below - wool outside and a polyester lining.

319OwBmQ-mL._SS500_.jpg

My question is, does anyone have any experience on having a similar jacket (a letterman style) altered? It's a very nice jacket, and I'd hate to have to get rid of it.

I've lost 45 lbs. recently, and the jacket is now way too big (it was quite roomy before I lost the weight). One of the local alteration shops quoted me $50 to take it in. Sound about right? Are they going to ruin it?

Thanks!

That sounds very inexpensive for such an alternation. I would ask them if they've done something of that nature before, see if they guarantee it won't be destroyed, etc. And I'd get a few more quotes as well....

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

That would be an outstanding price. That's less that I would pay to get a suit significantly altered. That said, as someone who has had a good number of suits altered, I would warn you that it is a fairly difficult process and if the tailor you bring it do does not know what they are doing, they could screw up your expensive jacket. I don't know where you live, but as was said before, I would price this job around and go with the place you feel most comfortable with. I would be a little wary though because suits are meant to be altered but a heavy jacket like that seems like a major deal.

Rob

But a suit has more fabric which can be let out or taken in in the back and shoulders by design. That cannot occur with this jacket, especially in the back as it will ruin the embroidery. Have then chalk the jacket to see where they would take it in.

I think you should try to sell the jacket on eBay, then get to obtain one closer to your current size.

Oh, congrats on your weight loss and lifestyle change.

Thats sounds very cheap to have the jacket altered. With that much weight loss, you're probably a completely different size now, so dfwabels sell and replace advice seems like a good way to gp as well.

Thanks for the congrats... I'm up to 50 lbs gone now. Anyway, I live in an area where there are only a couple places, so I'm bringing it in to another place tomorrow. I'm also leaning towards waiting until fall to get this done (if at all) in case I lose more weight...

Archived