Flyers question

AndrewG70

http://www.flyershis...rseyhistory.cgi

Febuary 7th, 1966, the group heading an expansion bid for the city of Philadelphia, was awarded a franchise by the NHL. One of the first orders of business was made on April 4, 1966. That day, Bill Putnam, a member of the ownership group, announced that a Chicago firm was hired to design the arena that would become the Spectrum. Also that day, he announced that there would be a contest to name the team and that the team colours would be orange, black and white. He said he wanted "hot" colours. Red was taken by Chicago and Montréal and orange was the closest thing to red. Putnam's almamater was the University of Texas, whose colours were orange and white, which influenced the decision. It also didn't hurt that Philadelphia's previous NHL team, the Quakers, also used orange and black. Putnam later realized that the NHL logo at the time was also orange and black. They offered to change the colours but NHL president Clarence Campbell didn't object to the team using those colours.

Back when the Flyers started their wasn't as much concern with Pantone shades as their is today. In those days teams accepted the shade provided by the manufacturer. The Flyers' early sweaters were made from Nylon/Durene by General Athletic. The Orange Nylon/Durene fabric is "lighter" in shade than what the team went to.

In 1982 they switched to the Pro-Mesh sweaters made in Philly by Zwickel for Bob Gastwirth of HSI. The fabric was purchased from GameTime Fabrics of Lowell, MA. GameTime used "SGMA Burnt Orange" as the shade. SGMA stands for Sporting Goods Manufacturers Assocition which is a watchdog group for the trade. SGMA colors were established to give a sense of consistency in the industry.

"SGMA Burnt Orange" has a definite "reddish" cast to it so that opinion amongst you folks is correct. Bob Gastwirth did all the lettering on the sweaters and conceived the wide borders on the base of the tackle twill numbers. Hope this helps clear this up.

I love it. Real-world application. Can't beat that.

What's the story with Eagle? They had that on the hem of their sweaters for a few years in the mid '80s, but I never heard of the company before or after that time.

Only thing that comes to mind is the "eagle" company that makes gloves (and is apart of goalie equipment company Vaughn), but I don't think it's the same company.

eagleppfred.jpg

IMO, the Flyers best look was circa 1979-80-81.

No contrasting nameplates, and larger shoulder numbers placed low enough on the sleeve that they fit mostly inside the contrasting color.

I also prefer the darker, slightly redder looking orange.

year12week15.jpg

18876.JPG

What's the story with Eagle? They had that on the hem of their sweaters for a few years in the mid '80s, but I never heard of the company before or after that time.

Only thing that comes to mind is the "eagle" company that makes gloves (and is apart of goalie equipment company Vaughn), but I don't think it's the same company.

eagleppfred.jpg

Maybe... Rick Tocchet wore those gloves back in the late '80s or early '90s, but long after they stopped wearing the Eagle jerseys. The Eagle jerseys had more of a script logo.

Both of these jerseys are from '84 '85 (the 31 on Carson was apparently added after the acquisition.)

2%20417.jpg2%20380.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived