2010 World Cup Preview

NJTank

Pretty good stuff, although I really don't agree with several statements...

...winner will be decided by who beats up awful Slovenia and Algeria the most

Slovenia is hardly a punching bag, they're a real thread to go to knockout stages. They beat a very talented Russia team to get to the WC, and their defense is pretty darn stingy. I'd say the winner of the Slovenia-USA game moves on.

...Mexico has the most overall talent

Umm, no way Mexico has more talent than France. France is one of the most talented nations in the world, they just haven't been able to play together and up to their potential. Mexico COULD be very talented, but much of that is just based on potential right now as they're very young

...injury plagued Netherlands

I'd hardly call them injury plagued, as far as I know Robben's hamstring injury is the only one of real importance (and he'll still probably play).

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Jaw drops with the Dutch.

C'mon TNAK

I forgot to add to my post earlier "can't wait to see New.Era's response when he sees you have the Oranje failing in the group stage" <_<

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

The chances of the USA reaching the finals and the Dutch getting knocked out during the group stage are about as likely as me winning the lottery. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? No.

Seriously though, getting to the round of 16 would be an accomplishment for the USA, especially if they don't get a result against England. Yes, this is the most talented team the USA has ever fielded, but it remains to be seen how they handle the pressure and expectations of being a favorite (against Slovenia and Algeria) when everyone knows that they aren't a team to be overlooked by England or anyone else. I just hope they play with the mindset that they've got nothing to lose, and not get caught up in trying to measure up to an unrealistic standard that they set last summer. They'll need Altidore, Dempsey, Howard, and most importantly Donovan to all play well. And the defense must be sharper (and healthier!) then its been lately.

Maybe I sound a bit cynical, but last time I thought there was no way the USA wouldn't get to the knockout stage, only to be crushed when the team failed to produce, and essentially crumble (Donovan and Beasley) under the weight of expectations set in '02. Of course I'll be cheering for them, but I won't be shocked if things don't go as well as hoped.

My predictions-

USA loses to England, but they still finish second in their group and then give the Germans a scare, but end up losing to them in the knockout stages once again.

Spain beats Brazil in the finals, with the Dutch and Argentina being dark horses to win it all.

Archived