Branson Baldknobbers

CAB

First off, let me start out by saying that I'm putting my NFL third jerseys on hold for a while. I've started alot of so called "series" or league projects in the past, and to be honest...never finished one. Doing an entire league is, IMO something that someone should never try to do. After many failed attempts, I believe the main reason for not finishing is it takes away from the quality of my work. I start to maybe rush a little, and keep thinking about the next concept because I want to finish 30-some teams. I've decided that I'll no longer do anything like that, but only individual concepts. One at a time. Some may be for a current franchise in sports, many will be fantasy teams. Just stuff I've dreamed up in my head. I probably won't do too many full logo packages, simply because it's very difficult to make wordmarks look good with anything in paint. Most likely I'll just have a primary and one or two secondary logos, unless I feel like rebranding an entire team. With my future concepts, I hope to get enough criticism and help to improve my skills as a designer. I'm also going to draw all my concepts out on paper first, because that seems to be how I get the best results. I hope to get a vector program eventually, but right now it's not possible so I'm gonna stick with good ol' paint. B) Okay now onto the concept.

Where the name comes from:

While I was visiting Branson, Missouri last week, I went to the Silver Dollar City amusement park. Lots of rides, but one of them really caught my eye. It was called Fire in the Hole (and indoors) and the whole theme was about a group of vigilantes in the Ozarks called the Baldknobbers, who burnt down and raided small towns in southern Missouri. The first picture I saw of a Baldknobber was this one, while waiting in line for the ride. It definitely caught my eye, and I thought it would be perfect and very unique to make a logo for. The real Baldknobbers wore black masks, but I liked the look of the white more and that was always the color I intended to use for the logo. It actually ends up being more of a tannish/skin color. I know the logo isn't exactly accurate, but sometimes things need to be altered in order to make a better or simpler logo. There's not really too much else to explain here. I am working on a secondary that will most likely have something to do with flames. I have one made already that is a barn on fire, but I'm gonna let that sit and see if I can think up any more ideas. I might make an interlocking BB monogram in the future as well.

Well I think that's enough talking for now, so here's the primary logo.

4811691941_76b080c983_b.jpg

Please don't be afraid to be harsh or anything, I want alot of criticism. Also, if anyones would like to vector this, by all means do! Ideas for more alternate logos are welcome too.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

since i live just outside Branson, i wanted to get in on this. your idea is a pretty decent idea but, as far as the logo i hate to say that it stills looks a little rough/rushed, but i know some of the other veterans could give better input on what you need.

on a side not Branson is getting a MidWest Basketball League team, to be named the "Branson Showstoppers", and will begin play in april of 2011.

showstoppers

sms.gif

I didn't really want to have to do this but...bump? Anyone?

Great idea for a team name. I have family all throughout Missouri so I'm familiar with the Baldknobber history in the Ozarks. The mask with the horns almost reminds me of some cartoony jackrabbit or something. Maybe turn the Baldknobber into some anthropomorphized animal figure?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In an attempt to get some more feedback, I whipped up a secondary logo today. Basically all it is is an interlocking 'BB' that's supposed to look like its cut out of wood. I originally had all the pieces of wood the same color, but I wanted some white in there. Therefore creating stripes.

4816311727_99fc7dcbd7_b.jpg

As I'd previously mentioned, I do have a barn logo, but I'm not happy with it just yet. It seems to be missing something. I'll post that idea later if I can get more comments here.

C&C please! ^_^

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I cleaned them up a little for you. They didn't turn out too great because all I did was put them through the bitmap tracer on Inkscape, but I figured I'd post them anyway. :grin:

BBKprimary-1.png

BBKsecondary-1.png

The BB sign kinda looks like a wrist with an arm band that has a BB logo on it. That's just the first thing I thought of. What about losing the sign portion entirely and trying to make the BB portion more wood-like? Just my thoughts.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Thanks so much, TC! They turned out fine IMO, it's amazing how much cleaner it looks.

@pianoknight-- I'll definitely try to tweak this some more tomorrow. These aren't finalized by any means.

Holy crap, that picture on wikipedia scares the :censored: out of me

Haha that was one of the main reasons I wanted to do this concept. I really liked the "mystique" effect that I got from seeing the guys in masks. Oh, and if you think that's scary, try going on the ride with life-size mannequins! :P

And here's an attempt to simplify the BB logo. What do you guys think? Better? Personally I like them both as alternate logos.

4824485333_7ff12cf490.jpg

Just a quick bump to try and get more feedback on this. Otherwise I'll just assume it's perfect?

If not, I'll probably have another fantasy concept up in a few days.

Just a quick bump to try and get more feedback on this. Otherwise I'll just assume it's perfect?

If not, I'll probably have another fantasy concept up in a few days.

That secondary logo doesn't look like wood. It looks more like a BB with cuts in it. I wouldn't know how to fix this, but that's what I noticed about the logo.

Punch9

are you going to make uniforms too?

I guess it just depends right now. Most of the concepts I'll be doing in the future will just be groups of 2 or 3 logos, not really entire identities. But if I do feel up to it sometime, I may post uniforms with this.

Archived