MLS in Pittsburgh

rbripley

Probably like a lot of folks, I got hooked watching this year's world cup and it inspired me to start thinking about what an MLS team in my hometown Pittsburgh might be named.

As most people know all too well, Pittsburgh's - for better or worse - clings steadfastly to its traditions and heritage as a working class city. Since there's already the Steelers, I looked at the city from a distance (lots of aerial photos) and the most outstanding element of the city for me was it bridges - all told about 30 of them in the city proper.

So, my first idea is the Pittsburgh Bridgemen.

Bridgemen.png

Looking through the city's history, also occurred to me that for their to be a working class, folks have to... well, work for someone. So the second idea is for the Pittsburgh Barons, as a nod to the titans of industry who are a big part of Pittsburgh's history.

Barons.png

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

I don't think "Barons" is a name too many folks outside of Pittsburgh--and hell, even half the folks in Pittsburgh--would readily attribute to the city, but that Barons badge has all kinds of potential. I'm already envisioning a great color scheme/kit, with the Pittsburgh black and gold...and the blue. It'd definitely be unique amongst Pittsburgh teams.

All that said, I don't suppose "Yinzers" crossed your mind, eyh? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well every city with a river or on the water has a bridge so that is not really unique. The first one looks like a rip off of "the City" look the Warriors have. Now the Barons badge is much better, but the name is not. Well it is but not in association with Pittsburgh.

But I could see the a black jersey with a lt. blue checker chest stripe. I think the strongest element of the first logo is the bolts and they could be used on the shield logo, that is a good look but a weak name. Perhaps the soccer ball at the top would have bolts as the pentagonal shapes on the ball. Now a unique name but a tad long could be the Pittsburgh Confluence or Confluence FC.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well every city with a river or on the water has a bridge so that is not really unique. The first one looks like a rip off of "the City" look the Warriors have. Now the Barons badge is much better, but the name is not. Well it is but not in association with Pittsburgh.

But I could see the a black jersey with a lt. blue checker chest stripe. I think the strongest element of the first logo is the bolts and they could be used on the shield logo, that is a good look but a weak name. Perhaps the soccer ball at the top would have bolts as the pentagonal shapes on the ball. Now a unique name but a tad long could be the Pittsburgh Confluence or Confluence FC.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I don't think "Barons" is a name too many folks outside of Pittsburgh--and hell, even half the folks in Pittsburgh--would readily attribute to the city, but that Barons badge has all kinds of potential. I'm already envisioning a great color scheme/kit, with the Pittsburgh black and gold...and the blue. It'd definitely be unique amongst Pittsburgh teams.

All that said, I don't suppose "Yinzers" crossed your mind, eyh? :P

Thanks for your thoughts! And yes... 'Yinzers' did cross my mind ;-)

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

Archived