3.0 Colorado Avalanche

3.0 Nashville Predators

2.9 New York Islanders

2.9 Atlanta Thrashers

2.7 Dallas Stars

2.6 Toronto Maple Leafs

2.6 Edmonton Oilers

2.6 Anaheim Ducks

These are from NHL Tournament of logos. For a project I'm going to remake (not rebrand) all the teams that received below a 3.5 (aka need to be fixed. I was wondering if the community could help by saying what they like and dislike about a few of these 18. The bold ones are the ones that I know what needs to be done with them because it's been so discussed.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Well, not to get too off-topic here, you've got your work cut out for you. The fact that 18 out of 30 teams are below 3.5 (out of how much?) seems to say something about the NHL's decision to go the RBK Edge system, no?

Putting my post back on topic, here is a short description of what I would do. I'm mentioning the ones that stick out in my mind the most.

Los Angeles Kings--Needs to use gold again. Athletic (Yellow-gold) or Metallic (Vegas gold) would do. Replace silver with gold. Lose "Los Angeles" script on bottom.

San Jose Sharks--Needs more yellow-orange. Not a whole ton, but enough to be noticable.

Ottawa Senators--Lose the lousy "Sens" alt. jersey, replace with a faux-back (barber pole design with "O" logo).

Philadelphia Flyers--Lose white nameplate on orange home uniforms.

Pittsburgh Penguins--Dump the Vegas gold, replace with Athletic Gold.

Carolina Hurricanes--Make hurricane flag (and other corresponding stripes) slanted slightly.

Calgary Flames--Go back to pre-Edge design, perhaps a rounded version of bottom of this jersey.

Florida Panthers--Revert to pre-Edge design.

Colorado Avalanche--Revert to pre-Edge design; it should look fine in the Edge template.

Dallas Stars--Bring back the "starry" jerseys! That should work fine in the Edge template.

Edmonton Oilers--Put stripes all the way around sleeves.

Anaheim Ducks--Replace black with green.

DustDevil, on some of those, I can't disagree with you more.

the NHLToL crowd is a very conservative one, very traditionalist, as am I. We follow the idea that Todd McFarlane said so well in this interview

there are hemline stripes, and there are sleeve stripes, and you have to start with that. this is meant to sum up their problems with these teams:

3.4 Los Angeles Kings: the bottom stripe was huge, but going back to purple and gold is the ideal

3.4 San Jose Sharks: too many bumper stickers. the orange adds too much, there's a big call to bring back the gray, and especially ditch the front numbers. the jersey is so full they're putting their anniversary patch on the sleeve. why they switched from the pre-edge (which would've translated perfectly) to this, I'm not sure, but there's too much going on

3.4 Ottawa Senators: the jersey pattern is identical to the penguins, but with different colors. as one Sens fan told me, "if it ain't a barber pole, it sucks". Their jerseys pay no homage to the original Senators (I don't count the shoulder patch, even though it drove up the ratings) and are as non-traditional as can be, and that doesn't work well for a team that tries to have such a history

3.3 Philadelphia Flyers: people wanted the original orange back, and they got it. the white nameplate is a huge hit, and is a piece of history. the black ones? not so much. this rating is definitely outdated

3.3 Pittsburgh Penguins: the pattern is identical to Ottawa's, and is completely non-traditional. the "gold" ends up being more khaki because of the fabrics, and that bothers traditional Pittsburghers, because while we want the old gold, we'll take vegas if it's shiny (those pre-edge jerseys were classy, yet different).

3.3 Carolina Hurricanes: this is another "too many bumper stickers" made worse by the shoulder piping. Most people either say the jersey is fine, or it's too cluttered. removing a bunch of stripes, while leaving the flags, which are unique, would do a world of good. the diaper-rounded-bottom look hurts it as well

3.3 Calgary Flames: someone once counted 5 different striping pattern on that jersey. I don't want to go back and count them myself, but it has to be close to that. So much is going on here, trying to pander to casual fans while throwing a bone to traditionalists, and it just doesn't work. add to that the flags on the shoulders, the blue becomes really distracting (and I've heard some Albertans complain about them staking claim of the province, let alone the country with the other flag) and it simply shouldn't be there.

3.1 Vancouver Canucks: I think most of this is the logo with the VANCOUVER wordmark. People love those jerseys, people hate that logo. a lot of people think it's just as crazy as slapping all of this on it 3101646d87eee7d4dd.jpg

3.1 Buffalo Sabres: where do I start? the striping is ridiculous. I see so many young teams using it in different colors, and I hate it every time. the sabres take it to a whole new level though, the whole thing sucks. the logo is godawful, but I'm sure you know that. They're starting to fix it with the third and hopefully new home this year, but the random piping that stops abruptly and the pit-stain patches leave it far from perfect. this rating will change with the buffaslug

3.0 Florida Panthers: apron-piping, reebox on the back, why would they do this? the colors worked perfectly before, and dare I say, those original panthers unis grew on you. now, they look stupid.

3.0 Colorado Avalanche: their uniforms were perfect. that's why they didn't change in a decade. they got it right the first time, with mountains in the sleeves and on the bottom, but not looking stupid. just so much as white piping separating the blue and the maroon make this jersey look sooo much better

3.0 Nashville Predators: they look like t-shirts. apron piping, reebox, the nashville front nameplate, it's just a mess. they're working to fix it with the thirds, and I hope they get it right this time

2.9 New York Islanders: they fixed it.

2.9 Atlanta Thrashers: they're a mess. in every way, shape, and form. this team never really had an identity, and it still hasn't found one. so many colors, thrown together in a reebok mess...look at the throwback look thrashers thread on the concepts board for ideas, because that's the best i've seen of this team.

2.7 Dallas Stars: they look like college jerseys. bring back the star shapes, at least that made sense

2.6 Toronto Maple Leafs: they fixed it

2.6 Edmonton Oilers: the third fixes it, but why those pajamas are still on the ice boggles the mind. the sleeve stripes stop for no reason, the apron piping on the front, the general blandness of it all...it just plain sucks

2.6 Anaheim Ducks: the logo is too small and the stripes stop under the arms

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

OK a few questions.

Los Angeles - 60s logo, Gretzky logo, crest, or crown?

San Jose - Orange or Grey? Also traditional or modern?

Philadelphia - They've fixed themselves, I'm going to withdraw them.

Pittsburgh - Robo penguin or no alternate?

Carolina - Hurricane flags or no?

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

I know I've already thrown in my two cents, but I'll throw an answer to your questions:

I think LA fans would like to see the 60s logo or the crest used, though I hate them both.

San Jose needs to be gray, it simply fits better. I think you ought to try something between the two, play around, both their original traditional-striped jerseys and their modern pre-edge jerseys, and even their super-simple black third jerseys were loved

as a Pens fan, robo-penguin should never become more than a shoulder patch, and never rear it's ugly head on a third jersey. If you want a third, use the circle logo, or the PITTSBURGH across the chest, everybody loves that jersey.

Carolina needs hurricane flags, it's unique, and not overly crazy

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Gretzky crest sucked big time. The '67-'88 is good on those jerseys, but not on the newer jersey. The current crown, fits the current jersey. So basically what you need to do, is come up with a new crest that says Kings, and don't just clip and paste parts of old crests/logos on there.

Archived