My Architecture Portfolio Website

Mings

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys!

I just wanted to bump this up as there have been a few additions to the site. Check it out and let me know what you think/what I could add/what could improve the site. I have a new url since the old one could have potentially gotten me in trouble (thanks to the Dean for helping me out with that). It is now joshuamings.com

Click here.

• 4 months later...

Sectional Perspectives

It is a combination of Rhino, V-Ray, AutoCAD and Illustrator. When my model is done, I split it in Rhino, then create an AutoCAD drawing from it and render the model. I take the drawing into CAD and clean it up. Then I take the rendered image into Illustrator (after I photoshop it a bit) and lay the CAD drawing over it, then add people, trees, etc to it.

Exploded Axons

I make drawings from the models in Rhino, then clean it up and put them all together in Illustrator. If they haven't started you guys on CAD/Rhino yet, a good thing to do would be take your projects from this year and digitize them. That way it does double duty, helps you learn and gives you more for your portfolio.

*crickets*

Well said loogodude, this topic clearly has no one caring about it when 43 people have visited my site from this topic over the last day and Matt is interested in how I do some of my representations.

Edit: Added correct number.

There is a problem on Chrome with the scroll, the answers in the info similar to:

Location: Robert E Lee Boulevard, Lakeview, New Orleans, Louisiana

Class/Semester: DSGN 1200 - Design Studio Spring Semester 2008

Professor: Michael Crosby, R.A.

Project Length: 8 weeks

scroll down with the page.

The facade on the Segregation building is so cool.

Thanks Matt. There was a lot of thought put into that facade. It actually takes two patterns from the Bamana tribe of West Africa and incorporates them (the Bamana people were the first ones brought as slaves to the New Orleans area, so there is ancestry here), one as a surface pattern, and the other as the 3d/textural pattern.

As far as it not showing up correctly, I'm sure it is fixed now. I had a position:fixed attribute on it when it needed to be position:absolute. I'll check in Windows when I get a bit, but I don't have access to that laptop right now.

And on a last note for those reading this thread and not the other, I would love to get your opinions on what projects of mine you like best. Click here to take the survey!

I took the survey Josh, I liked the outdoor classroom the best. I think some of the major trouble I have personally in critiquing your work (which appears to be outstanding) is I'm ignorant to architecture and can't accurately appraise your stuff outside of going "pretty colors" or "cool lines"

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I took the survey Josh, I liked the outdoor classroom the best. I think some of the major trouble I have personally in critiquing your work (which appears to be outstanding) is I'm ignorant to architecture and can't accurately appraise your stuff outside of going "pretty colors" or "cool lines"

I'm looking for all opinions. One of my criticisms of architecture right now is that the critiques come from people who have advanced degrees and usually aren't the ones using the buildings. I value comments from people outside of architecture as well. With people outside of architecture I'm looking for that gut feeling, a "do you feel you would like being in the building or not" sort of thing. After all, building have been highly praised by critics only to have the general public absolutely hate going in them/working in them/etc... which is something I strive to avoid.

I'm looking for all opinions. One of my criticisms of architecture right now is that the critiques come from people who have advanced degrees and usually aren't the ones using the buildings. I value comments from people outside of architecture as well. With people outside of architecture I'm looking for that gut feeling, a "do you feel you would like being in the building or not" sort of thing. After all, building have been highly praised by critics only to have the general public absolutely hate going in them/working in them/etc... which is something I strive to avoid.

I see. Well personally the reason I liked your outdoor classroom is that the concept of holding class outside is something I wish I would've had more as a kid, I think kids spend way too much time indoors as it is (sitting in front of computers and designing their sports logo concepts and what not). In college we were lucky enough to have a lot of benches in an outdoor venue that led to some of the most memorable and enriching class discussions I had in college.

$.02

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I took the survey. I don't know it was by chance but all the images I selected were the images showing the most site context. I just think it's pretty important for a building to fit into its surroundings, and these images show it best. I'd say your Moulin Rouge render is one of your best for that. I'd classify the Bayou Bazaar as another important image, just because of the scale of the project.

I took the survey. I don't know it was by chance but all the images I selected were the images showing the most site context. I just think it's pretty important for a building to fit into its surroundings, and these images show it best. I'd say your Moulin Rouge render is one of your best for that. I'd classify the Bayou Bazaar as another important image, just because of the scale of the project.

Completely agree Matt. Context is extremely important, as to be modern you must have a dialog with what has come before. I believe that the foundation of architecture is based on a notion of layers, the most important of which is a concept derived from site, context, and culture.

The Bayou Bazaar is actually a tricky one. The scale of it actually led to a bit being unresolved, and things that could have been a lot better in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

So - here we are 6 years later and I've recently updated the website to make it Wordpress based and far easier for me to update. I finished porting all the old pages over and added new items - will be posting a lot more with it. Check it out and let me know your thoughts!

Also if you see anything weird let me know - I built it on a new iMac so it might not be completely optimized for smaller screens.

http://www.joshuamings.com

Screenshot 2016-12-31 12.56.12.png

Archived