video of 1964 Vikings all purple

smith03

We had a thread on this some time ago. Supposedly that unintended monochrome game vs. Detroit was the death of the purple pants because Norm Van Brocklin couldn't stand the all purple. I thought the purple pants and Denver's orange pants were pretty sharp.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The purple pants look great with the white jersey, awful with the purple jersey.

Agreed. Normally I'm a fan of monochrome from helmet-to-pants looks...but in this case, not so much. Especially considering that the purple-purple-white & purple-white-purple looks are superior.

But yeah, kinda fascinating to see them in all-purple, and somewhat by accident.

:cry: I'll never understand why NFL teams spend oodles of dollars, time, and effort when designing and testing new uniforms...and then don't wear the uniform the way it was designed. The Vikes have worn the new purple pants a total of THREE times since they introduced them in 2006. Same thing with the Seahawks and Bills, who went monochrome even though that's not what they initially started out to do.
NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived