Colorado Buffaloes 1986 Blue Sleeve Stripe

BupsJones

From Wiki:

The official school colors are silver and gold, adopted in 1888 as a symbol of the mineral wealth of the state. In 1959, the athletic teams started using black and yellow because silver and gold ended up looking like dirty white and dirty yellow. The colors have stuck and most people don't even know the school colors are silver and gold.

On May 28, 1981, black was curiously replaced by "Sky Blue" by a mandate of the CU Board of Regents, to represent the color of the Colorado sky.[8][1] However, this color was different than the blue uniforms of the U.S. Air Force Academy. After three years, the blue was changed in 1984 to a darker shade, though still unpopular. In black and white photographs the players' numbers are nearly invisible. During a difficult 1-10 season, football head coach Bill McCartney employed black "throwback" jerseys for an emotional lift for the games against Oklahoma and Nebraska, without success.

In April 1985, the CU athletic teams were given the option of blue or black. The football team chose to wear black, and at Folsom Field the background for the signature "Colorado" arc (at the base of the seats behind the south end zone), blue for four years, was repainted black as well. On the football uniforms, the blue was reduced to a stripe on the sleeve for three seasons (1985-87) before being dropped completely in 1988. In 2007, CU debuted new football jerseys that reintegrated silver as a uniform color

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I never liked the heavy use of blue in the early 80s, but the blue stripe on the black and white jerseys was pretty awesome, IMO. Very distinct color scheme. Maybe they'll have a throwback day in an upcoming year and bring 'em back for a game or two.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

During a difficult 1-10 season, football head coach Bill McCartney employed black "throwback" jerseys for an emotional lift for the games against Oklahoma and Nebraska, without success.

Listen, if passing his daughter around like a party favor didn't boost his team's spirits, I don't know what would.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

During a difficult 1-10 season, football head coach Bill McCartney employed black "throwback" jerseys for an emotional lift for the games against Oklahoma and Nebraska, without success.

Listen, if passing his daughter around like a party favor didn't boost his team's spirits, I don't know what would.

Other than the fact that he had some success as CU's football coach, I'm not a huge fan of McCartney's or the whole "Promise Keeper" thing (just not my deal -- I mean no disrespect to anyone's beliefs). That being said, I think the comment above is totally out of line.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived