Colorado Rockies' question

NYYNYR

When the Rockies wear their traditional home "Rockies" pinstriped jersey, what colors does it contain? The announcers described it as though they were wearing a colorful purple-crazed jersey. I always thought of their jerseys as nice and reserved. Are the stripes purple? I thought they were black. Have I not looked close enough? There's only touches of purple (I wish there were more). I can only really see purple in the hat they wear. I really don't see it in the jersey or in the strange slightly two-tone helmet. Is there a way to brighten up the Rockies?

mlb_u_helton_300.jpg

When the Rockies wear their traditional home "Rockies" pinstriped jersey, what colors does it contain? The announcers described it as though they were wearing a colorful purple-crazed jersey. I always thought of their jerseys as nice and reserved. Are the stripes purple? I thought they were black. Have I not looked close enough? There's only touches of purple (I wish there were more). I can only really see purple in the hat they wear. I really don't see it in the jersey or in the strange slightly two-tone helmet. Is there a way to brighten up the Rockies?

mlb_u_helton_300.jpg

The pinstriping is Purple, and has always been that way on the home unis.

I have the same issue. The purple pinstripes show up clearly on the road grays, but even on an HDTV the stripes don't look purple on the homes, including on close up views. Part of it might be the perspective of them being up against (inexplicably) black numbers/letters with a silver outline. If those were made purple, the pinstripes might look more purple, at least up close.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

mlb_u_helton_300.jpg

The pinstriping is Purple, and has always been that way on the home unis.

That's what I figured, but I clearly do not see it. I'm looking on an HDTV , and no matter the time of day, they look BLACK. I agree with other posters that they should consider brightening the pinstripes, coloring in the Rockies wordmark with that same purple...or scrapping it altogether. I just find it funny that this is considered "extreme" by baseball's rigid uni standards, when in reality, it's a very nice, but reserved set. It can be improved.

I have the same issue. The purple pinstripes show up clearly on the road grays, but even on an HDTV the stripes don't look purple on the homes, including on close up views. Part of it might be the perspective of them being up against (inexplicably) black numbers/letters with a silver outline. If those were made purple, the pinstripes might look more purple, at least up close.

Old Roman: We clearly see eye-to-eye on unis. I believe you were with me when I had that (amazingly long and well-debated) thread on wearing dark alternates in baseball and Chicago needing to go back to its home/ away sets. It would be a slam-dunk to brighten the Rockies and the number in purple. It'd look so sweet. It might make those stripes pop, too.

colorado-rockies-road-grey-mlb-replica-jersey-3198754.jpg

that pops so much more !

Here are the Pantone Textile colors for the Rockies:

ColoradoRockies_FRC_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Note the irony of the Pantone Textile color description for the Purple.

interesting...hrm...why is that?

That's just what Pantone calls that color...nothing more.

Another thing that bothers me about the Rox' home unis are the front numbers, which were added at the beginning of this past decade, IIRC.

The silver stroke in the middle of the letters 1) looks white from a distance, and 2)makes the word mark look very faint. Not only is the wordmark washed away from a distance, but then you have giant black numbers on the front (the Rox along with the A's and Royals use a bigger variation of MLB block for the front numbers). When you look at the jersey your attention is drawn to the numbers, and that shouldn't be the case.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Old Roman: We clearly see eye-to-eye on unis. I believe you were with me when I had that (amazingly long and well-debated) thread on wearing dark alternates in baseball and Chicago needing to go back to its home/ away sets. It would be a slam-dunk to brighten the Rockies and the number in purple. It'd look so sweet. It might make those stripes pop, too.

The Rockies are a tough case because purple and black are so close. Making the home unis match the roads with the same colored workmark and purple numbers with a black outline would be a great improvement, but the purple and black would still kind of wash out. Throwing white or silver outline between them would look terrible, so there is nothing you can really do. I say lighten the purple up a tad and use some kind of shimmery twill for the numbers to make it stand out from the black. Also, bring back the purple jerseys but make the name/number silver with black and white outlines. The Rockies are SO close to having a great identity but they have messed it up. Their batting helmets and all vests need to be sent to the depths of hell.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've never had an issue seeing the purple pinstripes for the Rockies. I would say that the idea of having purple numbers outlined in white then black would look good or even the otherway around black numbers outlined in white and purple would look good also, and do it for both the home and road. I don't like the road wordmark on the jersey with black and purple against each other, as they blend too much. Go with the purple, white black look. If you know how to use colors properly, the purple will stand out even with black. The Rockies can't figure that out though.

Archived