Rebranding the NHL

JackFr

Aw you're kidding me! Not intentional at all (I mean, if I were to conciously rip off someone it wouldn't be someone as prominent here as SK, that doesn't make sense), but if SK feels that they're too close I'll find something else to do with that space.

God dammit. I was working on the devils logo when it struck me that an A would work there, I must have subconciously remembered it or something.

Obviously the rendering is 100% original, but if the A is too close for comfort I can change it I guess.

Aside from the similarities to that other logo, the beak on your duck makes it look like another bird entirely.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently not... come on guys. Original logos, original jersey designs, I put a lot of time into these concepts. Maybe if I want comments I should just recolour some templates instead...

Anyway, these are two New Jersey ideas. The first is a visualization of an idea by I think SenatorJake, but I don't think it really works. The second is a Tertiary idea that I had. It incorporates a part of the logo to make the D.

C&C would be appreciated... I don't want to sextuple post next time I have a new jersey or logo.

NJDOption9.png

NewJerseyTertiary.png

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

I think you're on to something interesting with the Devils concept, though I don't like the emphasis on white and bright silver (gray) for a team nicknamed the Devils.... But that's not the real issue here.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone here, my main reluctance to take part in this discussion is based on your insistence that the logo on the left is not ripped off from the logo on the right:

ducks.png

You already posted some NY Islanders concepts in March that were uncomfortably close to a previously posted concept by GFB. And you acted shocked at the similarities pointed out by people here. Fair enough. Perhaps it was a once-in-a-while mistake.

But now you've posted an Anaheim Ducks concept that even the most casual observer would see as a direct rip-off of SK's old Anaheim Ducks concept. It's not just that the logos are insanely similar in form and composition, but you've also pretty much copied SK's color palette. And acting like it was some kind of innocent mistake insults the intelligence of everyone here, especially those of us who do this for a living.

It's pretty difficult to ask anyone who's serious about this stuff to comment on your work when you've clearly ripped off two different designers. And the sad part is that you don't seem to be without talent. But you just can't steal peoples' work and expect to get respect and feedback. But maybe I'm alone in thinking this....

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

here are my thoughts:

Ducks- like the colors and how you used them on the sweaters, but the logo is kinda meh.... it works on Sigma Kappas b/c on his the A is clearly on the chest while yours appears to be on the duck's back which looks odd.... idk it looks way too similar anyways, so I'd suggest going in another direction

Thrashers- love the primary logo, especially on the home even if you didn't use any red..... on the away maybe it could use some red, but it still looks good regardless..... I don't care much for the third logo, but maybe that's b/c I think the primary looks so good... maybe use some red on the alt. too

Devils- I like the direction your going with the logo, but I'd suggest either using a dark green or black instead of the gray (too reminiscent of Detroit). Play around with those--my first thought was to use the black as a possible outline around the white logo--and that will also give the logo more of a layering effect too.....like how you've used a hockey stick in the negative space of the D in the tertiary logo (intentional?)

edit: I wasn't aware of the similarities to another's NYI too.....not good my friend, but like dgnmrwrw said you've got some talent

I think you're on to something interesting with the Devils concept, though I don't like the emphasis on white and bright silver (gray) for a team nicknamed the Devils.... But that's not the real issue here.

While I certainly can't speak for everyone here, my main reluctance to take part in this discussion is based on your insistence that the logo on the left is not ripped off from the logo on the right:

ducks.png

You already posted some NY Islanders concepts in March that were uncomfortably close to a previously posted concept by GFB. And you acted shocked at the similarities pointed out by people here. Fair enough. Perhaps it was a once-in-a-while mistake.

But now you've posted an Anaheim Ducks concept that even the most casual observer would see as a direct rip-off of SK's old Anaheim Ducks concept. It's not just that the logos are insanely similar in form and composition, but you've also pretty much copied SK's color palette. And acting like it was some kind of innocent mistake insults the intelligence of everyone here, especially those of us who do this for a living.

It's pretty difficult to ask anyone who's serious about this stuff to comment on your work when you've clearly ripped off two different designers. And the sad part is that you don't seem to be without talent. But you just can't steal peoples' work and expect to get respect and feedback. But maybe I'm alone in thinking this....

I see what you mean. I insist that I didn't try to rip-off SK at all initially, and that the main shape of the logo, as well as the colour scheme are my own work (in fact the colour scheme was inspired by a painting my grandfather has). However, I can see that the A is stretching the similarities too much. I do admit that the addition of the A was inspired by SK's design, as I saw the suggestion earlier on in the thread when I was updating (a suggestion that I turned away initially). Looking back on the thread, with nothing else to do with that space, I fell back on the A.

I would really like to move the Ducks concept in a different direction, away from any past designs, SK's or otherwise. I have a lot of respect for the designers here, and I apologize to Sigma Kappa for this entire affair.

However, I maintain that my Islanders logo was influenced or based in no way off of GFB's logo, which I hadn't seen since 2007. I think the concept is simple enough and the execution is completely different enough that it isn't incomprehensible that it's a coincidence.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Archived