Rebranding the NHL

JackFr

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What program are you using? The logo quality is stellar, but the on the jerseys they're all pixelated.

I'm stuck with Paint, my trick is to zoom out and make the design on a scale of 12000 x 14000 pixels, so vectorization (vectormagic) is smooth. When I shrink them, the quality falls again.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

What program are you using? The logo quality is stellar, but the on the jerseys they're all pixelated.

I'm stuck with Paint, my trick is to zoom out and make the design on a scale of 12000 x 14000 pixels, so vectorization (vectormagic) is smooth. When I shrink them, the quality falls again.

Use photofilter. It's nothing incredible, but it does help with the pixelation problem alot! I would be lost without it.

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

It takes two minutes to download. I think you need to click the first one on top.

• 2 months later...

Here's a part 1 for you guys.

Tampa Bay Lightning

This is just a primary mark for starters. I count myself in the group that prefer the new Bolts jerseys/logos to the old ones, but there's still much room for improvement. I wanted a mark that would maintain the iconic nature that the Lightning design team were going for without sacrificing depth or datedness. My solution was to add silver, make the logo more three dimensional, and start the background oval from scratch to make it less "Colorado-ey".

vectorizedlightning.png

As I said, it's a work-in-progress, so please keep up C&C.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Thanks, that was what I was going for with this: nothing revolutionary, because I liked the idea of, after 20 years of clipart and comic-book logos, something simple. However, I wanted something different.

Anybody have anything else to add before I update it?

My NHL Rebrand Blog

I'm stuck on the Lightning set (I want a solid secondary, but the idea I had was too similar to undead/chickenfish's). While I try to work my way around that, I thought I'd offer up another set that I've been working on off-and-on for a while now, that I've finally gotten to a point where it's presentable.

New Jersey Devils

What some people see as classic, I see as outdated. This is my issue with the Devil's logo. Other than "classic", it really isn't anything. The two letters combined look like one mysterious letter, which has worked as an identity for 20 years, but at this point looks out-of-place. I wanted something that would hold onto the success and general idea of the logo, while making it modern and more legible. With Brodeur retiring soon, what better time to carve out a new identity for this team?

My preliminary colours are red, silver, and white. Burgundy is used as a depth colour in the same way that silver was in my TB logo. However, I am open to using black if this change doesn't go over too well.

NewJerseyDevilsPrimary.png

NewJerseyDevilsRedBackground.png

C&C would be fantastic. I just got out of school, so I have time to get this project REALLY off the ground. I already have the Rangers all set, and the Flyers and Preds are WIPs right now. Hopefully nobody accuses me of rushing, because I work on all of these logos off-and-on for weeks, transitioning between them so I can have a fresh outlook on them as I create them.

EDIT: Apologies for the pixelated personal mark on the secondary. Don't know what happened there.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

I absolutely love the Tampa logo you made above. Such a simple change to their new logo and it makes it SO much better. I think their new logo is way too plain and sucks bad. A little silver does wonders. Good job.

I am not digging that NJ logo at all though. It's too sharp.

Swastika Devils? Too much evil going on here...

Is it really that instantly similar? Obviously I want to shy away from it.

In any event that rules out the "logo on the elbow" option :P

I guess a major part of this concept was making the NJ more distinguishable. I've never met a non-hockey fan who could figure out with the logo was. It always goes "Oh, I guess" after I tell them.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Yeah, it's very swastika-esque.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Yeah, it's very swastika-esque.

Damn that Hitler. Forever ruining designs that even remotely resemble it. Someone needs to add that to the legacy of sh**ty things he did.

I asked a bunch of my friends what it reminded them of, and I didn't get "swastika" from any of them, so I'm torn. Does it look instantly like a swastika? Does it look like it enough to be a big deal?

I don't want to completely rework if it isn't necessary.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Archived