Rebranding the NHL

JackFr

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked a bunch of my friends what it reminded them of, and I didn't get "swastika" from any of them, so I'm torn. Does it look instantly like a swastika? Does it look like it enough to be a big deal?

I don't want to completely rework if it isn't necessary.

The moment someone mentioned it, it was all I could see.

Two ideas:

NJDOption5.png?t=1307143562NJDOption4.png?t=1307143609

Second one, looks great.

My main problem with the second one is that it undermines one of the main goals of the design, which is to make the N J legible. If anyone has any ideas on ways to work around that, I'm all ears.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

Option 1 helps make the shape less ambiguous and more of an "NJ." I like where this is going.

Not feeling the numbers in the lighthouse, for NYI

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Option 1 helps make the shape less ambiguous and more of an "NJ." I like where this is going.

Not feeling the numbers in the lighthouse, for NYI

I'm leaning heavily towards option 1. I think I'll tint the N a bit darker though.

I'm not happy with the lighthouse logo, in retrospect. I'm going to go back to it if I get stumped on another one.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick update for an 8 month old concept (had time today). Notice the significantly higher image quality (which took some time), the crest, and finally dealing with the space on the stomach.

BugDucks-2.png

I misinterpreted SenatorJake's idea, but reading it over I think it might work.

Blueland Believer, like with the Ducks concept I'm planning a major update. I already updated the logo set (look it up, it's not in here), and a jersey set is in progress, although I haven't touched it for about a month.

C&C on the Ducks Update please.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Looks pretty good. I like the color scheme a lot. Something look off about the eye though.

Also, the A looks out of place, and reminded me of an anarchy symbol.

Thank you for the comment. I like the colour scheme, I was trying to make it look kind of sunny and tropical without looking gaudy or forced. The "A" I think is necessary to take up space (if you saw the original, you know that that was a major issue). Hopefully that won't be too much of an issue (although at least it's better than a swastika :P).

I see what you mean about the eye. Eyes are my eternal logo design crutch, but I'll try to get some ideas through.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

The duck logo is awesome. One minor nitpick that bothers me though. You have feather detail on the right side of the tail but not the left side. The rest of the logo has great symmetry except for the tail and it sticks out to me. Not really a complaint but the duck head reminds me of a 1993-2001 Penguins logo's head. I actually like that logo. Anyways, the 'A' is a nice touch. I really like the jerseys too. Nice job.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

The duck logo is awesome. One minor nitpick that bothers me though. You have feather detail on the right side of the tail but not the left side. The rest of the logo has great symmetry except for the tail and it sticks out to me. Not really a complaint but the duck head reminds me of a 1993-2001 Penguins logo's head. I actually like that logo. Anyways, the 'A' is a nice touch. I really like the jerseys too. Nice job.

Thanks. I'll attend to that. The jerseys will be updated soon once I've finished the logo.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

I have a quick update for an 8 month old concept (had time today). Notice the significantly higher image quality (which took some time), the crest, and finally dealing with the space on the stomach.

BugDucks-2.png

Blueland Believer, like with the Ducks concept I'm planning a major update. I already updated the logo set (look it up, it's not in here), and a jersey set is in progress, although I haven't touched it for about a month.

looks far too similar to Sigma Kappas duck for my liking...

the markings on the neck, the highlights on the the top of the wings and the highlight on one side of the tail (not to mention the circle logo version.)

would lead me to think this is far too close to be a coincidence...

AnaheimDucksConcept.png

You did it again with the A

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

BugDucks-2.png

i kinda like the ducks logo. the green looks pretty cool with orange. (oregon green?)

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

looks far too similar to Sigma Kappas duck for my liking...

the markings on the neck, the highlights on the the top of the wings and the highlight on one side of the tail (not to mention the circle logo version.)

would lead me to think this is far too close to be a coincidence...

AnaheimDucksConcept.png

You did it again with the A

Aw you're kidding me! Not intentional at all (I mean, if I were to conciously rip off someone it wouldn't be someone as prominent here as SK, that doesn't make sense), but if SK feels that they're too close I'll find something else to do with that space.

God dammit. I was working on the devils logo when it struck me that an A would work there, I must have subconciously remembered it or something.

Obviously the rendering is 100% original, but if the A is too close for comfort I can change it I guess.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Archived