Australian "Football" concept: AFL teams hit the gridiron

RuffDawg

Any chance of any more of these?

You bet! My health regressed a little this week and my already backed-up work schedule became even more hectic as a result, but I'm going to take some time off this weekend and get back into this for a much needed brain exercise. North Melbourne is the next team due out, it's in the works right now.

Thanks a lot for the comments, everyone! Nice to see the interest was still alive in this thread so I plan to finish it.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping this back to page 1 to announce I'm working on the North Melbourne concept right now and it'll be posted here shortly. Those expecting a purely traditional look will be disappointed... that's all I'll say at this point.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

North Melbourne Football Club is the fourth-oldest club in the AFL, having been founded in 1869. They were long considered an outcast in the early days and were actually barred from joining the VFL due to rowdy fans and bad blood between other local clubs like Collingwood and Essendon. They finally entered the VFL in 1925 and have won four premierships since then, most recently in 1999. The nickname "Kangaroos" was adopted in the 1950s after the club had been nicknamed the "Shinboners" for much of their history, a name which came about due to many of their early players being workers at the area's abattoirs.

My own rules for this concept set dictated that accent colors like black and silver could only be used if the club had already used them in their uniform set. I got lucky on this one, since North have used black numbers since the 1930s and still use them on today's uniforms with a silver outline. Silver was also used on this very spiffy road jersey in 2003 and has also found its way onto the team's new logo which was adopted in 2007.

This is the first (and could be the only) concept in my AFL set where I've specifically opted for the Nike Pro Combat cut over a generic design. I opted for a silver helmet and pants for the home set with matching blue and white stripes on each. The helmet and sleeves both display the club logo without the text, which I've moved to the jersey. The team's trademark stripes are also used on the sleeves and the pants feature the silhouette kangaroo which was the team's old logo and used on their road jerseys during their 1996 premiership-winning season. The number font is a simple Gothic to mimic that used on their jerseys and logo.

aflconceptnorthmelbourn.png

Merry Christmahanukwanzakah, everyone.

teamlogossig.png

I like these a lot! Those sleeves are really sweet. My only suggestion would be to move everything on the back of the jersey up, so the NOB is on the nameplate area.

Thanks for spotting that, it didn't look quite right when I was doing it and I'm not quite sure why I did it that way. I've edited the original post with the corrected version... no other changes as I'm really happy with this one overall.

If I can squeeze one more of these in before Christmas, I will... still deciding which of the four remaining teams to do next (not counting Gold Coast and Western Sydney, which I'll do last).

teamlogossig.png

• 4 months later...

I am guessing Christmas came first, Dawg?

Any hope for more of these?

I second that

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Archived