Save the Suhaki?

gosioux76

With the University of North Dakota's "Fighting Sioux" moniker set for retirement this year, a pair of alums are using some creative wordplay to revive the nickname. They want to save the Suhaki, an antelope native to Russia, Kazahsstan and Mongolia they say is "often times mistaken for a legendary collegiate ice hockey team located at the Ralph Engelstad Arena, Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States of America."

The StarTribune has an AP story on it here, with a picture of their logo and jersey.

The Save the Suhaki site is at www.suhaki.com, with a video endorsement by Zach Parise.

That is hilarious. There really is no good options being thrown out there, so maybe this can catch on.

Not that I intended to bring this up, but I'm starting to think that the best option is to not adopt a new nickname at all. That way, the university is compliant with the NCAA and the fans can call the team whatever they want (which, undoubtedly, would be the Fighting Sioux.)

Frankly, I'd find it easier to warm up to a team known just as University of North Dakota than to the North Dakota Prairie Dogs/Explorers/Flood Survivors or whatever else they dream up.

Plus, I think there's a standard to be set in devising a minimalist design scheme using just the university's name and its interlocking ND. The UND football team basically does this already.

That is hilarious. There really is no good options being thrown out there, so maybe this can catch on.

Not that I intended to bring this up, but I'm starting to think that the best option is to not adopt a new nickname at all. That way, the university is compliant with the NCAA and the fans can call the team whatever they want (which, undoubtedly, would be the Fighting Sioux.)

I agree with you--the UND adopts no official nickname and allows any of its Sioux trademarks to become public domain. Then the students, alumni, and fans of university can call the sports teams whatever they want and even make green Sioux t-shirts with the current Sioux logo and wear them to games, and the university can't object. As long as the university is in no way affiliated with the use of the Sioux moniker, I don't think the NCAA can object. I believe NCAA would have to go through some real legal gyrations to come up with a legal right to force UND to regulate what private individuals call the team or wear to sporting events.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I agree with you--the UND adopts no official nickname and allows any of its Sioux trademarks to become public domain. Then the students, alumni, and fans of university can call the sports teams whatever they want and even make green Sioux t-shirts with the current Sioux logo and wear them to games, and the university can't object. As long as the university is in no way affiliated with the use of the Sioux moniker, I don't think the NCAA can object. I believe NCAA would have to go through some real legal gyrations to come up with a legal right to force UND to regulate what private individuals call the team or wear to sporting events.

As always, though, there's a catch.

I imagine UND has some aspirations of eventually hosting the Frozen Four, so they'll probably do everything they can to avoid pissing off the NCAA, which this no-new-nickname plan would undoubtedly do.

I imagine UND has some aspirations of eventually hosting the Frozen Four, so they'll probably do everything they can to avoid pissing off the NCAA, which this no-new-nickname plan would undoubtedly do.

I'm sure UND wants to host the Frozen Four. The question is: Does anyone want to go to the Frozen Four in Grand Forks?

(Yes, I know Greater Grand hosted the 1983 Frozen Four, at the old Ralph. I even know who won.)

Packers-2.png

Archived