What's The Deal With Doug Christie's Wife?

the_cynic

Could somebody tell me what is up with Doug Christie's wife? Why is she so protective of him? Didn't he cheat on her last year? I'm out of the loop and I'm wondering why everyone makes fun of them. Here's a quote from Bill Simmons on ESPN.

FACT OR FICTION: Doug Christie has been playing the best hoops of his career in Round One.

Fact. He's been unbelievable. Even as he's seemingly gone off the deep end with those crazy hand signals to his wife. Have you ever taken a step back and thought about how bizarre that ritual is? And you thought Nomar's routine with his batting gloves was strange.

Then again, the Christies bring us so much joy. Like this e-mail from reader Jason Milletary in Pittsburgh: "You know those NBA playoff commercials where the players are trying to seduce the championship trophy? When do we get the one with Doug Christie trying to talk to it but only to have his wife enter the scene and accuse the trophy of trying to steal her man?"

Or this e-mail that I sent to some friends after Game 4:

Christie tries to bat the ball out of the way to escape his charging wife (not pictured).

"Classic moment from last night's Kings-Mavs game: Star of the game Doug Christie is grabbed by Pam Oliver. Uh-oh. He's not supposed to talk to other women. This is very dramatic. Plus, she made the mistake of touching his arm and smiling at him in the set-up. That's a no-no.

"So he's answering her questions and being careful not to crack a smile or flirt in any way ... she wraps it up, throws it back to the studio. Even as she's wrapping it up, he's fleeing like it's a crime scene; and as he's fleeing, a third party comes into frame -- Mrs. Christie! -- who's grabbing his arm and pulling him away from Pam. So now he's bolting away from Pam AND Mrs. Christie, pulling his arm away from her and running off into the background behind Pam as Mrs. Christie scurries after him. Unbelievable! Highlight of the playoffs!"

See, that's what I love about sports -- when you're hoping that something happens, and then it actually does.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

any episode involving Christie and his wife automatically rates in the 90s of Simmon's "Unintentional Comedy Scale". Simmons (now a writer for the Jimmy Kimmel Show) has long held Doug Christie the poster boy for p-whipped men and husbands. Anytime one of his friends (if you read his stories you'll understand) either gets into trouble with his wife/girlfriend or refuses to do something because "she'll probably get mad", he foreces them to wear the "Cloak of Shame", otherwise known as the Doug Christie jersey.

sacramentoteamstore_1786_810218.jpg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wow, I don't know quite what to say. I had no idea it was that extensive. When I first started reading that article I was thinking to myself that these two were way over the top. As I continued to read I started to get the feeling that their relationship was really inspiring. The steps they take may seem absurd but once you really think about it, if you're truly committed to your spouse like that, what else do you really need? What can I say other than I was absolutely floored by what this couple does. I know it's kind of inspired me to be a better husband in a way. Call me crazy but I think the Christies may have their crap together!

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

How would this be a model for marriage? You admire the fact that one spouse is insanely jealous of the attention the other receives? I haven't read anywhere that says Christie has roving eyes (maybe it was it one article), but his wife seems very dominant and controlling. She gets irritated when he is interviewed by a female reporter. If she is that insecure about the marriage, maybe she should not have entered a relationship with a potentially high-profile athlete.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

True, I would have to agree with you there. She does seem a little insecure about some things. What admired me was that Doug is willing to go along with this. He does his best to keep their commitment real, in a world where a lot pulling at these guys. All I'm saying is that it pays to be committed.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived