Toronto Blue Jays Concept

Showtime029

Long time poster first concept. Just some messing around with copying and pasting with a little help from paint. Feel free to rip me or praise me

Loved the late late 80's early 90's Blue Jays set and was inspired to bring that back while making a few changes. The home set I went with a logo instead of a wordmark.

I like the clean look of the tigers and wanted to bring a little of that to the Jays home. I added the red maple leaf on the sleeve to represent Canada on both the home

and away. On the away jersey I went with just a wordmark and eliminated the logo. The all blue cap rounds out the look for both home and away. Alternate jerseys and BP to follow.

HomeAway.png

Looks great! I don't think I've ever seen someone go that route on the home jersey, but I really like it. The maple leaf on the sleeve is a nice touch as well. Can't wait to see the rest.

Thanks. I thought it was be an interesting look for them and since they are now the only Canadian baseball team, I think they should display that on their uniforms proudly.

For the batting practice jerseys I did a mash up of some of late 70's uniforms and mixed in the home and away pants. Took the opportunity to use the white front panel cap as well. Again,

nothing revolutionary at all. Just something I would be interested in seeing.

BPHomeAway.png

Here is the home and away alternate. I am using the same jersey for both home and away, with Blue Jays wordmark. Obviously a riff on the 94 -96 alternate which is one of my favorites,

I removed the logo from the front of the jersey and added the red maple leaf on the sleeve, simple but the blue screams Blue Jays to me.

TorontoHomeAwayAlt.png

Eh, I wouldn't want to see the Jays go with the chest-patch type jersey. It seems kind of trendy. And BLUE JAYS just looks really nice as a wordmark IMO.

I definitely think you are headed in the right direction with a "retro movement," but I don't want to see that wordmark return. It's too 70s/80s. They should slightly modernize the wordmark font.

I like the Maple Leaf patch.

And I also like the blue jersey alternate. It's so hard to believe that there are only THREE teams in the MLB who wear regular blue (not navy) alternates. The Jays could look original (especially within their division) without even really trying.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Eh, I wouldn't want to see the Jays go with the chest-patch type jersey. It seems kind of trendy. And BLUE JAYS just looks really nice as a wordmark IMO.

I definitely think you are headed in the right direction with a "retro movement," but I don't want to see that wordmark return. It's too 70s/80s. They should slightly modernize the wordmark font.

I like the Maple Leaf patch.

And I also like the blue jersey alternate. It's so hard to believe that there are only THREE teams in the MLB who wear regular blue (not navy) alternates. The Jays could look original (especially within their division) without even really trying.

I can see it being hit or miss with the logo on the jersey, I just really like that original Blue Jays logo. You're right though, Blue Jays as a word mark is something nice to play with.

In the future I am going to try and create my own, just wasn't ready to dive in just yet.

I can't believe they don't wear a royal blue alternate at this point, I'm hoping they get one going with next year's set.

Thanks for the comments.

Nice but I don't think it will work nowadays. It should be modernized.

What do you mean in won't work nowadays? Tell the Phillies, Indians, and Twins that their throwbacks won't work either...

What do you mean in won't work nowadays? Tell the Phillies, Indians, and Twins that their throwbacks won't work either...

I think he may be referring specifically to the font. It's too '70's/'80's-specific.

The Phils/Indians/Twins throwbacks all have a classic/timeless feel to them.

70's-type throwbacks (Padres, Astros, Jays, etc.) all have some elements that would need modernization if they were to be brought back and made fulltime.

I think he may be referring specifically to the font. It's too '70's/'80's-specific.

The Phils/Indians/Twins throwbacks all have a classic/timeless feel to them.

70's-type throwbacks (Padres, Astros, Jays, etc.) all have some elements that would need modernization if they were to be brought back and made fulltime.

I think mascot logos as chest patches just make it look like a fashion jersey and not something that you'd see on the field. The classic chest logo jerseys (NYY, DET, PHI, old SF and SD road, etc.) (and yes, I'm stretching the word "classic" here) all have something in common - they're monogram logos that fill up a square space nearly completely. Not all letters work in this capacity (for example, current Phillies P wouldn't work because there'd be too much negative space) but traditionally, letters have been the choice for the chest.

But that type of font for both the letters and numbers, has always been associated with the Blue Jays....

Does "always" include the last 15 years?

The Jays ditched that font because it was starting to look dated.

Do you know if that was really the reason, or are you speculating? I'd argue strongly against it being dated. If anything, split numbers have been making a little bit of a comeback, with the Memphis Grizzlies and Villanova Basketball adopting them (until the NCAA made 'Nova lose theirs.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Do any soccer teams still use split numbers?

The Blue Jays could always use the Grizzlies' old numerals, but then again they were more or less using those in the late '90s anyway, so maybe the originals were just fine.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But that type of font for both the letters and numbers, has always been associated with the Blue Jays....

Does "always" include the last 15 years?

The Jays ditched that font because it was starting to look dated.

Do you know if that was really the reason, or are you speculating? I'd argue strongly against it being dated. If anything, split numbers have been making a little bit of a comeback, with the Memphis Grizzlies and Villanova Basketball adopting them (until the NCAA made 'Nova lose theirs.)

No, I was more just speculating, but I think it's a safe speculation. IMO those numbers scream '70s, and it's not just the split numbers, but the number shapes themselves. Something about the overly round-ness. They remind me of the '70s Padres and Astros fonts.

I don't think split numbers in and of themselves look dated, as you mentioned the Grizzlies use split lettering (not numbers anymore, but that's just due to a material issue I think), but it's just a combination of split numbers in that '70's type font that make it look dated to me.

And not that this really proves anything, but this is VH1's logo for "I love the 70s."

seventies_281x211.jpg

Archived