NLL's Boston Blazers burn out... again

Viper

Just when I was getting optimistic that we'd finally have a National Lacrosse League offseason without some team moving or going under...

BOSTON, MA (September 1, 2011) ? The Boston Blazers professional indoor lacrosse team announced today it will temporarily suspend operations for the 2012 National Lacrosse League (NLL) season as the team begins the preliminary steps for franchise relocation to a new home facility for the 2013 season.

Of course, in practice, there is no such thing as a "temporary" NLL franchise shutdown, at least not in recent memory. And so, Blazers 2.0 join their somewhat longer-lived previous incarnation in the NLL franchise graveyard.

CCSLC signature.png

This is just crazy. There hasn't been a season with no changes since 1993!?!?!?! You'd think at least ONE year in the last 18 or so there wouldn't be any franchise turmoil. Oh well, maybe the 2012 offseason will be the year.

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

I've been hearing rumors about this for weeks and it finally happend. The last time the NLL didnt have a team relocate, fold or add a new expansion team was 1993. The thing that makes me mad is the teams say they are looking for a new arena, city or owner so they suspend opperations but they never come back.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Look at all the teams that said they would come back but they didnt:

Arizona Sting

Orlando Titans (thats still uncertain)

Portland Lumberjax

Chicago Shamrox

Vancouver Ravens

New York Saints

These are only the teams that said they would come back, there are many more teams that just announced that they were done right away.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I've been hearing rumors about this for weeks and it finally happend. The last time the NLL didnt have a team relocate, fold or add a new expansion team was 1993. The thing that makes me mad is the teams say they are looking for a new arena, city or owner so they suspend opperations but they never come back.

According to NLL commissioner George Daniel, after the Sting folded the league adopted a policy that once a team "goes dark" it is now immediately considered permanently dead. That includes the Orlando Titans (and the LumberJax and Shamrox). Whoever wrote that statement saying the Blazers could come back in 2013 is talking out of his @$$.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived