Players Changing Names/Uniforms Question

smzimbabwe

Just read that Ron Artest has officially had his name changed. Which got me to thinking this fine evening...

When a player wants to change his name, such as Chad Johnson/Ochocinco, the league tells them they can't have the new name for a while because of merchandising concerns. A player wants to change his number? Great, but they gotta wait because the league has merchandising concerns...

Where are these merchandising concerns when a player gets traded?

Isn't it the same thing? The team/league is suddenly stuck with a bunch of merchandise that is no longer accurate to that player. Or is it because the new team and the league just assume they'll make more money off a traded players jersey to offset the loss of value in the stock of his old jersey?

a player changing their name/number on a whim is an entirely useless and annoying thing for a league to handle.

they have to do the same thing when a player is cut/traded, but that's the cost of doing business. they understand that. they don't like it when they're forced to do it because a player decided they want something new on their back.

As much as Ochocinco is a :censored:ing clown, he was in the right and the NFL was in the wrong. I felt he should have sued the NFL. If you remember, after he legally changed his name, the NFL still officially called him Chad Johnson for another year while he wore a Johnson jersey. The media also had to refer to him as Johnson in their coverage. I mean, this isn't professional wrestling. A league can't just tell you what your name is.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As much as Ochocinco is a :censored:ing clown, he was in the right and the NFL was in the wrong. I felt he should have sued the NFL. If you remember, after he legally changed his name, the NFL still officially called him Chad Johnson for another year while he wore a Johnson jersey. The media also had to refer to him as Johnson in their coverage. I mean, this isn't professional wrestling. A league can't just tell you what your name is.

Right. If I'm a consumer advocate (or just a jersey consumer... which I'm not) I applaud the league for doing what they did. But as a person, I think it was ridiculous. Perhaps they should actually put in player contracts a clause regarding things like name changes, then this wouldn't happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wonder where the WNBA stands on a player changing their name when they get married.

That's interesting, didn't even think of that.

But I'm guessing since the league isn't of the same level as the NFL it's not as big of a deal. They just change it for the next season or something.

2ly2w09.jpg

I remember when Ricky Williams retired the first time, and he came back he wanted number 27, as it was a multiple of 9 (the perfect number).

He had been retired for 1 year, and then I believe he had to serve a suspension but the league told him no, there were too many 34 jerseys in dead stock to change.

What made me laugh was all the 34's I found at marshalls even after he came back.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived