Most Underrated and Overrated Athletes?

Lebda4Norris

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

As a player? Or as an executive?

I was thinking player. I always hear the younger generation, people who never saw him pitch call him, "The greatest pitcher of all-time." The best strikeout pitcher? Yes. The best pitcher, no?

He was before my time but I've looked at his numbers especially his Wins to Losses and he does not seem like the greatest of all-time to me.

He wasn't the Greatest of All Time, but please don't let wins and losses be the only thing you look at when evaluating this. Dude played on some downright awful teams in...well, each stop. I wouldn't put him above recent greats like Roidger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez or even Greg Maddux, but Nolan Ryan was damn good.

27 years. 5,714 strikeouts. 7 no-hitters.

I really only mean that he is overrated because he is so often refferred to as "The greatest pitcher of all-time," which he is not. Isn't that what overrated is?

Overrated does not mean bad, it means they get more credit than they deserve. In my opinion, Nolan Ryan is overrated.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

I was thinking player. I always hear the younger generation, people who never saw him pitch call him, "The greatest pitcher of all-time." The best strikeout pitcher? Yes. The best pitcher, no?

He was before my time but I've looked at his numbers especially his Wins to Losses and he does not seem like the greatest of all-time to me.

He wasn't the Greatest of All Time, but please don't let wins and losses be the only thing you look at when evaluating this. Dude played on some downright awful teams in...well, each stop. I wouldn't put him above recent greats like Roidger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez or even Greg Maddux, but Nolan Ryan was damn good.

I really only mean that he is overrated because he is so often refferred to as "The greatest pitcher of all-time," which he is not. Isn't that what overrated is?

Overrated does not mean bad, it means they get more credit than they deserve. In my opinion, Nolan Ryan is overrated.

I've never heard anyone call him that. I can only really recall Cy Young, and (pre-steroids) Roger Clemens being referred to as such.

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

I've never heard anyone call him that. I can only really recall Cy Young, and (pre-steroids) Roger Clemens being referred to as such.

Sandy Koufax would be on that list as well.

Ryan's reputation is interesting. If he was rated that highly by GMs in his pkaying days, why didn't championship calibre teams go after Ryan, once free agency really kicked in.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived