California Golden Seals

youcan'tseeme

I recently purchased the new CCM Vintage replica of the 1970-73 California Golden Seals jersey. Now I've been able to locate the correct font for it to get it customized, however I've seen many pictures and was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny to me whether or not they had the players names on the back of the jerseys. Or if they had them for televised games only?

untitled-6.jpg

According to NHLUniforms.com, they had last names on the yellow jerseys, but not on the green jerseys.

I looked on there however, according to NHLuniforms the 1974 V-neck version of the same jersey doesn't have a name on the back, yet this picture clearly shows otherwise. Which is what led to my confusion.

'74 v-neck

untitled-6.jpg

I believe at the time, home teams could wear names on the back and road teams could wear names on the back if the home team allowed it. I believe the permission part was mainly to satisfy Toronto, who resisted adding names.

I think you could go without just fine if you don't find the right font.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I believe at the time, home teams could wear names on the back and road teams could wear names on the back if the home team allowed it. I believe the permission part was mainly to satisfy Toronto, who resisted adding names.

I think you could go without just fine if you don't find the right font.

That's exactly right. That's why from 1970-77, there were games in which teams would wear names in some games and not in others. As hockey week stated, at that time, teams were allowed to wear names on their home jerseys and could wear names on their roads only by permission of the home team. That's why my default treatment for those save seasons is to leave the names off the roads. In addition, NBC required all teams to wear names in games that they televised. Names became mandatory in 1977-78, despite the objection of the Maple Leafs, who finally relented towards the end of the season.

Hope this clarifies things.

Archived