Sports Expansion 2.0

RoughRiders9

As some of you may be already aware, I'm in the middle of a "for-fun" project where my friend and I are expanding each of the 4 major sports leagues to 40 teams apiece. If you want to check out the original thread, here is is: Original Thread

Before you guys go off and say it'll never happen and it's unrealistic and all that stuff, just know this:

Since the basic concept of this fun project has both my friend and me being crowned the Kings of North America in our own little fantasy world?.meaning any disagreements or sayings that shoots down this project, it'll just be ignored by my friend and me..

We both are merely just asking for suggestion/ideas, not to start an argument. Also, just be reasonable. That means no minor-league-ish names or some town that has less than 1,000 people getting a team or whatever, lol.

Anyway, here are the list of the teams/locations that are already "locked" and "maybes" in our project:

Locks:

Iowa Oaks

Arkansas Travelers

Portland Beavers

Montreal Expos

San Antonio _________________

Carolina Blue Sox (but we're open to other name ideas)

Maybes:

New Orleans

Salt Lake/Utah

Tennessee/Nashville/Memphis

Omaha

Vancouver

Virginia/Norfolk

Indiana/Indianapolis

New Mexico/Albuquerque

ALSO.....

We haven't decided on how we will set up the league, but we do have two ideas:

- 8 Divisions of 5 teams each, 4 divisions per league

- 4 Divisions of 10 teams each, 2 divisions per league

And we haven't decided on how to do the playoffs yet as well. We do want to keep the MLB playoffs pretty exclusive, like it is now, but we're open to expanding it to 10-team playoff or even a 12-team playoff if the right idea comes up...

Thanks!!

IowaOaks.png

Just some ideas for more cities to expand to, a few for the south east, others just a few I came up with otherwise

Charleston, SC Ospreys

Savannah, GA

Montgomery, AL Lightning, Greyhounds, Blues

Jacksonville, FL Makos, Blue Fins, something ocean related?

Orlando, FL

Providence, RI Grays, Water Fires

Wichita, KS Red Tails, Swallows, Hawks, Bombers, Jets, known as the Air Capital City

Hope this helps in some way or another, I like a lot of these nick names, maybe you could use some elsewhere? (Grays, Red Tails, Swallows, Ospreys) I know they're mostly bird names but still could work in a lot of places.

Just some ideas for more cities to expand to, a few for the south east, others just a few I came up with otherwise

Charleston, SC Ospreys

Savannah, GA

Montgomery, AL Lightning, Greyhounds, Blues

Jacksonville, FL Makos, Blue Fins, something ocean related?

Orlando, FL

Providence, RI Grays, Water Fires

Wichita, KS Red Tails, Swallows, Hawks, Bombers, Jets, known as the Air Capital City

Hope this helps in some way or another, I like a lot of these nick names, maybe you could use some elsewhere? (Grays, Red Tails, Swallows, Ospreys) I know they're mostly bird names but still could work in a lot of places.

I love the Jacksonville Makos (or something shark related) idea! And Orlando as well. I always think that Florida would be great with 3 teams (great weather year round).

And how about the league set up (divisions) and playoff idea? I can't think of a good system for it. I keep going back and forth with them.....

IowaOaks.png

I'm an "old" Pacific Coast League fan, so I think you should add a team in Sacramento and call them the Solons, and the Vancouver team should be called the Mounties. I also think the NL and AL should be scrapped in favour of geographical alignments. Four ten-team leagues with two five-team divisions in each. And I'd like to be the court jester.

I'm an "old" Pacific Coast League fan, so I think you should add a team in Sacramento and call them the Solons, and the Vancouver team should be called the Mounties. I also think the NL and AL should be scrapped in favour of geographical alignments. Four ten-team leagues with two five-team divisions in each. And I'd like to be the court jester.

LOL, sure why not. I like the idea of Vancouver Mounties. I'll add that to the list that we have put together. However, we're keeping the AL and NL thing. We're too old-school for that.

Here's what we have so far:

Salt Lake Bees

Jacksonville Makos/Hammerheads (see comment about jaha below)

Orlando Tropics

Memphis Kings/Egyptians

Nashville Notes/Heroes/Sounds/Legends (those are borrowed from jaha32. His ideas are just terrific that I just had to put them in there. Hope you don't mind!)

Norfolk Tides/Skippers

Virginia Skippers

Omaha Legends

Vancouver Kodiaks/Mounties

New Mexico Matadors

Albuquerque Dukes

Rochester Red Wings

New Orleans Pelicans

A few of those ideas are borrowed from jaha32 and his basketball league. His ideas are just terrific that I just had to put a few of them in there. Hope you don't mind!

IowaOaks.png

And how about the league set up (divisions) and playoff idea? I can't think of a good system for it. I keep going back and forth with them.....

Are you thinking of an NL/AL setup or a East/West kind?

I want to keep the NL/AL set up for sure.

But I cant decide if I'll have 2 divisions with 10 teams (east/west) OR 4 divisions with 5 teams (east, south, north, west or something along those lines).

And I can't decide on how to to do the playoffs once I decide the league setup. I know that I want to expand the playoffs to 5 or even maybe 6 per league.

If I go with the 4 divisions, 5 teams per, I believe a 5-team playoff won't work because I generally like to reward the division winners with a some sort of an "auto-bid" to the playoffs.

This is my very basic idea for the playoff for this league set-up: The division winners simply goes to the playoff. No Wildcards or anything. A 4-team playoff.

I'm not a big fan of it because I want to expand the playoffs because since the league expanded, then the playoffs should expand by just a little bit as well.

If I go with the 2 divisions, 10 teams per, I'll likely go with either a 5-team or 6-team playoff.

This is my 5-team playoff idea: The two division winners will get an "auto-bid" obviously. The top non-division winner team will get the no. 3 slot. Then the 4th and 5th place battle against each other in a one-game playoff like the proposed plan they have right now in real life MLB.

This is my 6-team playoff idea: The two division winners will get an "auto-bid" obviously. Then the 2nd place winners of each division will face the 3rd place team of its respective division in a one-game Wild Card playoff. The winner of that then moves on to the Divisional Series where they face the Division winners. Then the playoffs proceeds on from there normally as before.

IowaOaks.png

Archived