Hockey Project Idea

Ez Street

Ok, bare with me here but I have an idea. I was thinking what state is the most successful in hockey in the last 20 years. I propose that we complie stats to figure this out. Using stats from Minor and Major Hockey, we can compile stats for all 50 states. Going on combined W-L-T and Championships won, we can rank each state accordingly. Then after the stat work is complete, we can make a bracket and decide on winners for each round. Does this sound good to anyone?

We can break down stat work by region or something.

No Juniors/Roller Hockey/NCAA!

States Complete:

Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Mass, Conn, Maine, New Hamp, New Mexico, Alaska, Arkansas, Rhode Island, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Oklahoma, S. Carolina, Utah, Alabama, Minnesota, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, Kentucky, Indiana, W. Virginia, Tennessee, Maryland, Georgia, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Ohio, Virginia, New York, Illinois, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Texas

No Hockey:

Vermont, Montana, Hawai'i, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Oregon, Delaware

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Example:

Kansas Hockey

Wichita: 372-348-72 Two Championships

Topeka: 101-88-20

Wichita: .469 Winning Pct.

Topeka: .483 Winning Pct.

State of Kansas: 473-436-92 .472% Two Championships

Missouri Hockey

Kansas City: 437-378-85 One Championship

St. Charles: 176-156-42

St. Louis: 797-637-215

Kansas City: .485

St. Charles: .470

St. Louis: .483

State of Missouri: 1,140-1,171-342 .482 One Championship

Well for now i think excluding playoff win/loss is good. As far as ties, i don't know how to handle that. The half win/loss could work. I'd like to get a few opinions so we can proceed with the best collective thought on this. The more the merrier. :D

What about college hockey? It would be hard to have some of the New England states without including the championship teams of Maine, UNH and Boston College.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

What about college hockey? It would be hard to have some of the New England states without including the championship teams of Maine, UNH and Boston College.

add michigan to that mix, with University of Michigan, Michigan State, Lake Superior State (plug for my alma mater), Northern Michigan, Ferris State, etc.

NCAA, SEHL, EHL, CHL, UHL, ECHL, AHL, NHL , plus every other minor league that has come and gone in the past 20 years. Already sounds like too much for me

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Winning percentage is calculated by dividing the number of wins by the total number of games played. So ties aren't given any special weight (like .5%) because they aren't wins. While they aren't losses, they aren't wins either.

Brian in Boston

:shocked: Shortest BiB post ever! :D

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

No offense, but this seems like a rather silly pursuit seeing as how the state of Canada is clearly going to win.

. . . . runs like hell out of the room leaving a vapor trail in his wake . . . . . .

Winning percentage is calculated by dividing the number of wins by the total number of games played. So ties aren't given any special weight (like .5%) because they aren't wins. While they aren't losses, they aren't wins either.

Brian in Boston

Brian is right my stats are just basically winning percentage.

Mississippi Hockey

Biloxi:598-308-213-47 .515% Won Championship

Tupelo:210-97-113-0 .462%

Jackson:278-143-117-18

Biloxi: .515%

Tupelo: .462%

Jackson: .514%

State of Mississippi Hockey: 1086-548-443-65 .505% One Championship

the "Hockey Gods" disapprove of these findings.....hockey in Mississippi? Yeah, right.

:P:P:P

Well, I think there is a problem here. A state with lots a minor league teams and no NHL team will have an adavantage over a state with very few minor league teams but has an NHL team.

Take New Jersey for example, this is a state flodded by NHL teams around it (about 4 NHL teams). However only 1 play in the state, but since a high level of play is available to see a minor league team won't be taht succesful and thus there aren't many. (why go see a minor league game when you can go to an NHL game.) So why NJ has a NHL team and two echl teams, another state might have 5 minor league teams but no NHL teams. I think there should be something to take in account the level of play.

BTW, I don't think NJ is the best hockey state, i'm using it as an example.

Anyway here is my homestate of New Jersey (i'll figure out the numbers later, this in terms of championships):

New Jersey Devils- 3 Stanley Cups

Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies- 1 ECHL championship

Trenton Titans- 0 Championships

MASSACHUSETTS PRO HOCKEY (Past 20 Years)

Boston Bruins: 834 - 679 - 13 .547 Winning %

Worcester Ice Cats: 388 - 305 -104 .487 Winning %

Springfield Indians: 381 - 377 - 76 .457 Winning %

Springfield Falcons: 372 - 365 - 88 .451 Winning %

Lowell Lock Monsters: 199 - 231 - 49 .415 Winning %

Overall: 2174 - 1957 - 330 .487 Winning %

The Springfield Indians were responsible for winning the State of Massachusetts' only two professional ice hockey championships during the past twenty years, capturing the American Hockey League's Calder Cup in both the 1989-90 and 1990-91 seasons.

NOTE: In seasons where the National Hockey League and American Hockey League included an Overtime Loss category in their standings, overtime losses have simply been added to the loss column.

Archived