D'Antoni Resigns! Knicks are a mess!

dbackdiehard17

Point guard is the least important defensive position?

Yeah because your hardly in the paint which is the first area any defense is going to look to shut down.

That doesn't mean they don't do anything on defense, but it does mean they aren't going to be asked to rebound much or help out much because they have to be the first guy to get back on offense. They need to play passing lanes, prevent drives and close out on open shots. That's exactly what you need to do as a shooting guard or small forward, but chances are you are going to have to deal with a much better driver and you are going to be asked to play more help defense.

Point guard is last out of the five positions for defense in terms of importance. It doesn't mean ignore it but that's just the way it is.

The Knicks are the result of trying Miami's method with far inferior talent. As previosly stated, Anthony and Stoudemire cannot or will not play defense. Lin is extremely young and inexperienced, and Chandler's not a serious threat to score. All of their most talented players have serious, glaring flaws in their game.

That being said, people also used to bash Jordan, Bryant, James, Bird, and countless others for not playing defense. They fixed their weaknesses, and so can the Knicks. All they need is the desire to improve and the will to make it happen.

I don't think MJ ever fit that description... the guy made 9 NBA All-Defensive First Teams, and was the DPOY in 1987-88. His offensive game may have outshined his defensive game, but it never had anything to do with being deficient defensively. When you average 30 points a game, people can forget you ever get back to the other end of the court.

The only time I heard anybody with any type of intelligence say Jordan wasn't a great defender was the day he was drafted. He was arguably the best player in the NBA though from day one he was in the league and just got better after that.

Bird wasn't great on the defensive end but he was far from a liability and I would say was a good defender at least. Magic wasn't quite as good but again I wouldn't say he was a liability. Magic also played the least important position defensively on the court, so even if he was I could look past it more then I could for either Jordan or Bird.

I am not kidding when I say that Carmelo Anthony may very well be the worst defensive player at the small forward position in the NBA who's also a starter.

I don't think he was as great as advertised defensively, though. Pippen was a considerably better defender than Jordan and was more likely to be defending the opposition's better scorer.

For what it's worth with the Knicks, D'Antoni never exactly stressed playing defense. Not really surprising that now that the Knicks have a new coach and have gone on this little run it's because their defense has improved greatly.

Also, I still think Lin isn't very good.

IUe6Hvh.png

If you read this thread's title/subtitle in like a Walter Winchell newsreel sort of voice, it's perfect, by the way. I wonder if the thread creator is a John Swartzwelder fan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived