NHL Captains "C" Position

Hoops McCann

I just came across a possible answer to a question I've wondered about for a long time. Why is the Captain's C or A on the right side for Red Wings (and Coyotes) jerseys, and left side for everyone else?

From the Wikipedia "Captain (ice hockey)" site: "the positioning of the crest on the front leaves insufficient space on the left for the letter".

Is this legit? Seems like this could also be a problem with teams with Wordmark logos like Ducks, Wild alt jersey, Sabres alt, etc. Also, there's always room for the Cup Finals patch...

That is the actual reason, yes. As to your follow-up questions, I have no answer, but the original question does have a conclusive answer, and the one you found is the correct one.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I just came across a possible answer to a question I've wondered about for a long time. Why is the Captain's C or A on the right side for Red Wings (and Coyotes) jerseys, and left side for everyone else?

From the Wikipedia "Captain (ice hockey)" site: "the positioning of the crest on the front leaves insufficient space on the left for the letter".

Is this legit? Seems like this could also be a problem with teams with Wordmark logos like Ducks, Wild alt jersey, Sabres alt, etc. Also, there's always room for the Cup Finals patch...

Yup, when the Yotes and Wings transitioned to the RBK EDGE design their crests were enlarged so suddenly there wasn't any space left for C's and A's.

Imagine if the Sharks made the SC Final last year. Where would they put the finals patch?

114503237_crop_650x440.jpg?1315932444

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Yup, when the Yotes and Wings transitioned to the RBK EDGE design their crests were enlarged so suddenly there wasn't any space left for C's and A's.

Imagine if the Sharks made the SC Final last year. Where would they put the finals patch?

114503237_crop_650x440.jpg?1315932444

I imagine shenaniganry like this would happen:

126447-004-BDD620E5.jpg

So what's up with this?

8gvjwvgl5xlekpufphjv8rfr8.gif

Worn in 1997/98 in order to honour injured teammate Vladimir Konstantinov and masseur Sergei Mnatsakanov after getting injured in a car accident 6 days after winning the Stanley Cup.

bufg.png

Archived