MLB: Black in '00s = powder blue in '70s?

CubsFanBudMan

I think the new trend in baseball is going retro. The Blue Jays(whole set), Orioles(white front panel on cap/smiling oriole), Braves(cream alternate), Mariners(teal bill/uniform from 90s), Royals(powder blue alternate), Indians(cream alternate/road uniform), Athletics(gold alternate), Astros(somewhat with the throwback Fridays and the new 2013 uniforms/logos), Dodgers(Brooklyn throwback), Mets(entire set basically), Padres(PCL type set), Nationals(focusing on the "Curly W" logo from the Washington Senators instead of the modern, bevelled scripts), Giants(70's orange alternate), Pirates(gold BP jersey from 70's), and, even though its a stretch, the Phillies(cream uniform) are examples of this trend. There are exceptions however:

miami_marlins_officially_unveil_their_new_name_and_look.jpg

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Plumbers-Athletics-2000-Tim-Hudson.jpg

I will have some nostalgia for these black jerseys. It's not because it looks good because it doesn't. But that was the year when I fell in love with baseball so from a sentimental standpoint, this jersey would be nice to see as a throwback for a game or something. But I am glad the A's are done with black

Go A's!

Having been to Minute Maid Park this weekend, I am going out on a limb and saying the Astros are changing the colors. They are doing nothing but push the navy/orange, and a lot of the merchandise that is available for other teams isn't even being made for Houston (I'm guessing because it will be outdated in 2013). They are giving off a vibe of "Don't buy the current look, we are definitely changing in 2013".

They will sell the retro stuff and I am guessing go back in that direction in 2013. The day the season ends, they'll close MMP and start painting (it's all black/brick painted now).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Having grown up in the 70s and early 80s, I am nostalgic for the powder blues. Grey road uniforms generally strike me as boring. I particularly miss the Cardinals' and Phillies' powder blues, as well as the Expos (their white uniforms were great too). However, one set that I do not miss is the Cubs' powder blues with white pinstripes. I will give the Cubs points for originality, though; off the top of my head, I can't recall any other team incorporating pinstripes into powder blue uniforms.

I didn't realize people were nostalgic for the powder blues.

If you ever get a chance to look into the crowd at Miller Park, you'll see that powder blue might be the most popular color the team has ever worn. Ironically enough, it seems to be most popular with fans who would've been too young to remember when the Brewers actually wore the color.

Archived