knnhrvy's NHL - "Pre-Series Help"

knnhrvy16

Hey everyone!

I hope it's alright that I do this...there's no uniforms or logos here, only colors (but eventually there will be full identities, so don't think this ends here! :P). I'd just like to explain kind of where I'm at with this series idea really quickly, and post what I do have for your feedback.

I've had the idea to tackle the NHL for some time, and I finally have enough ideas formulating that I feel I can go ahead and pursue a series (one I hope to finish this go around, now that school is nearing its end). As of right now, I have colors for every team drafted together, but the logos and uniforms are still in the very rough stages. As the colors are, in my personal opinion, one of the more vital parts of an identity, I wanted to see if you guys thought I was on the right track with the look of the league as a whole (and also wanted to address some concerns I have with specific teams). I just feel like it's something that is necessary to move forward with the project, as I do want to make sure I'm on the right track before I work too far into identities.

So without further prolonging, here's the colors of the league, following which I'll address some concerns I'd like some feedback on specifically (though of course, you all are welcome and encouraged to give feedback on whatever you wish):

NHLRedesignColorSchemes.jpg

....and the concerns.

- Adding brown as an accent to Boston...good idea or bad? Does it look okay with the black and gold?

- Colorado was a tough one for me. I initially wanted to do a simple maroon-and-white scheme, but at the last second I decided to add powder blue as an accent to the two. Thoughts on either idea?

- I really love what's come about with Florida (probably the farthest along so far of any team I'm working on at the moment). With their colors, I tried to "Floridify" the red, blue, and gold to a more "hot" red, a sunset-ish orange, and a very dark blue. Does it work?

- Los Angeles is giving me fits. I'm torn between Purple/Gold and Black/White. I really like the ideas I have for both schemes (more so the Black/White, to be honest), but I can't decide between the two. As of now, the Black/White is a sort-of placeholder.

- Minnesota and Phoenix...too similar? I intend Minnesota to be primarily green and Phoenix to be primarily burgundy, if that helps any. I really wanted to bring green back to Phoenix, but as the idea is given, similarity to Minnesota is a concern.

- St. Louis...just in general. Thoughts?

And again, as aforementioned, please give C&C on anything you'd like to...don't feel like you are limited to my personal concerns. Anything you have regarding any of the teams is more than welcome. Thank you all very much for viewing and in advance for your help!

P.S: Oh, and just to address Anaheim very quickly...just because the eggplant and jade is back, doesn't necessarily mean that the Disney Ducks are back too...just saying! :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Hm, not sure how I feel about black and green in a color scheme for New Jersey. My suggestions would be to pick one and put it with red and white. Both of them together might be a bit too much, unfortunately. Also, may I suggest darkening up the blue for Tampa Bay just a little bit? I don't think that shade of blue really works for them.

Other than that, solid ideas and I can't wait to see the actual concepts!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

LA: Even though its their colors now, Black & White are too bland. I liked when they had some purple in there.

FLA: At least on my screen the Blue looks Black and the "hot" Red looks Hot Pink.

NJ: Not too sure about the Green. It might depend on how you plan on using it.

NYI: The Blue & Orange are fine, but I am not sure about the Aqua/Teal-ish color.

SJ: Thank you for getting rid of the Orange and going back to the original team colors.

STL: Like NJ it might depend on how you use the Red, but I really don't think Red belongs.

WSH: I know there are other Red, White & Blue teams, but I think of them all the Caps should be R,W&B. (Nations colors)

Other than that the rest of the leauge look good. Can't wait to the the concepts.

- Adding brown as an accent to Boston...good idea or bad? Does it look okay with the black and gold?

- Colorado was a tough one for me. I initially wanted to do a simple maroon-and-white scheme, but at the last second I decided to add powder blue as an accent to the two. Thoughts on either idea?

- I really love what's come about with Florida (probably the farthest along so far of any team I'm working on at the moment). With their colors, I tried to "Floridify" the red, blue, and gold to a more "hot" red, a sunset-ish orange, and a very dark blue. Does it work?

- Los Angeles is giving me fits. I'm torn between Purple/Gold and Black/White. I really like the ideas I have for both schemes (more so the Black/White, to be honest), but I can't decide between the two. As of now, the Black/White is a sort-of placeholder.

- Minnesota and Phoenix...too similar? I intend Minnesota to be primarily green and Phoenix to be primarily burgundy, if that helps any. I really wanted to bring green back to Phoenix, but as the idea is given, similarity to Minnesota is a concern.

And again, as aforementioned, please give C&C on anything you'd like to...don't feel like you are limited to my personal concerns. Anything you have regarding any of the teams is more than welcome. Thank you all very much for viewing and in advance for your help!

P.S: Oh, and just to address Anaheim very quickly...just because the eggplant and jade is back, doesn't necessarily mean that the Disney Ducks are back too...just saying! :P

- You know what, I'll have to wait to see the concept. It for sure could work, but it might be better to go with just two colours. It's worth trying, though.

- I'm fine with Colorado

- It definitely seems like a good way to "Florida-fy" them, but the jury's out until I see what you've done

- I'd keep black/white; you could always do a gold/purple throwback-esque alt

- As long as green is noticeably dominant in Minny and Burgundy is noticeably dominant in Phoenix, it shouldn't be an issue

- Ehhh...Make the blue brighter and ditch the red

Also, Toronto and Detroit's shades of blue and red look off

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thank you guys for the feedback! Keep it coming if you can, everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

Hm, not sure how I feel about black and green in a color scheme for New Jersey. My suggestions would be to pick one and put it with red and white. Both of them together might be a bit too much, unfortunately. Also, may I suggest darkening up the blue for Tampa Bay just a little bit? I don't think that shade of blue really works for them.

Other than that, solid ideas and I can't wait to see the actual concepts!

Thanks! Yeah, with New Jersey I wanted to use the green pretty minimally. The Devils would still be primarily Red and Black, with a little green here and there. Quick question about your suggestion - if I were to go with Red and Green, would that fall too much into the Minnesota/Phoenix area? Like, where the two teams are using variations of red and green somehow, would having a third team do so be a problem, do you think? And I'll most certainly consider your Tampa suggestion, absolutely. I'll work around with some ideas. :)

LA: Even though its their colors now, Black & White are too bland. I liked when they had some purple in there.

FLA: At least on my screen the Blue looks Black and the "hot" Red looks Hot Pink.

NJ: Not too sure about the Green. It might depend on how you plan on using it.

NYI: The Blue & Orange are fine, but I am not sure about the Aqua/Teal-ish color.

SJ: Thank you for getting rid of the Orange and going back to the original team colors.

STL: Like NJ it might depend on how you use the Red, but I really don't think Red belongs.

WSH: I know there are other Red, White & Blue teams, but I think of them all the Caps should be R,W&B. (Nations colors)

Other than that the rest of the leauge look good. Can't wait to the the concepts.

Thanks! In regards to Florida, I intended both the blue and red to appear closer to black and hot pink, but can tweak it around if necessary. Like I said for New Jersey above, I intended the green to be pretty minimal. Same would go for the aqua for the Islanders (I still intend them to be primarily blue and orange). Yeah, the orange just doesn't work for me in regards to San Jose. Never has at all, I had to change it :P Washington was actually one of the teams I had the most trouble with (and probably should have addressed in my concerns)...the color scheme was actually the result of a "compromise". I'm personally partial to the 90's-00's blue-black-bronze scheme, but like you, I also feel that the Caps should be a R-W-B team. So I replaced the black of the 90's-00's scheme with red, in hopes it would bring the two together well. What is everyone's overall opinion on Washington?

- You know what, I'll have to wait to see the concept. It for sure could work, but it might be better to go with just two colours. It's worth trying, though.

- I'm fine with Colorado

- It definitely seems like a good way to "Florida-fy" them, but the jury's out until I see what you've done

- I'd keep black/white; you could always do a gold/purple throwback-esque alt

- As long as green is noticeably dominant in Minny and Burgundy is noticeably dominant in Phoenix, it shouldn't be an issue

- Ehhh...Make the blue brighter and ditch the red

Also, Toronto and Detroit's shades of blue and red look off

Thanks! Boston's brown would probably fall under the intent I had with the New Jersey green. Still trying to figure out exactly how to use it, but it wouldn't be too much if it were to stay (like the other teams' accents in question as well - nothing at all is set in stone! :P). The Florida scheme is probably (so far) the only one that will use each of its colors near-equally across the board. I'm still working on the balance, but as opposed to the intents I have for the rest of the league, they're likely going to use each color pretty prominently. Glad to hear your opinion on Minnesota/Phoenix, thank you. With Toronto, I actually changed the blue just a small tad to help further separate the blues across the league. Detroit's red was unintentional though, I'll be happy to tweak it to where it should be :)

Thanks again everyone, and like I said, nothing is set in stone at all. I'd just like to hear some more feedback before I go changing too much just so I can get a broader opinion. Keep it coming! I appreciate all the help very much.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Thanks Oaklandhusker!

Just some quick ideas to show you guys for Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, and Winnipeg. Tried out Black-White-Purple for the Kings, darkened the blue a little bit for Tampa, and gave a slightly blue-tinted gray a try for the Jets (which honestly, I really like).

NHLRedesignColorSchemes2ndwave.png

Thoughts? Anything better or worse? What's the verdict on the Tampa blue...first, brighter blue, or darker one?

Now, these are just ideas, not necessarily updates. I'm still very open to any suggestions!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

try the bright blue you originally were going to use for Winnipeg with St.Louis ( ditch the red,please!)

Vancouver- kelly green? no way! use a darker shade.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Alright everyone, just wanted to update you guys on the progress of the series:

The jersey designs are FINISHED, but the logos are still in the rough stages as I'm still hand-drawing a few. Also, I've made a few major changes to the above colors, so basically just disregard the original color concepts. Some teams will be the same as above, but I've drastically changed a few of them.

Just some quick notes I can give you all:

(note: these are only a few of the changes I've made - each team is getting some sort of change, whether minor or major, so there are many more changes that aren't noted here)

- One original six team is getting completely new logos, but keeping its colors.

- One original six team is keeping its primary logo, but tweaking its colors as well as changing a well-known...mark.

- Two teams are replacing traditional white with "off-white".

- There will be Winter Classic and Heritage Classic concepts (Both of which will be posted after the last team is finished, and not included with the participating teams' unveilings).

- I really liked raysox's Toronto teaser of sorts in his Yakball series (which is amazing, BTW. If you haven't checked it out yet, do it!), and it's inspired me to include team-specific teasers before every unveil.

Stay tuned, hopefully I have the logos finished sooner than later. I'm excited to get this series rolling!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived