Mayor of Columbus, OH wants NBA Franchise

hettinger_rl

I'm very surprised that Cincinnati doesn't have an indoor sports team (NHL or NBA). It seems like a good sports market, and they'd only have to compete with the Bengals one day of the week 8 times a year. There's obviously no arena in place but it's never even mentioned as a possible market.

Cincinnati does have UC and Xavier basketball. Not quite major league, but I'm assuming one or both of those teams plays at US Bank Arena on a semi-regular basis.

Neither does. US Bank's biggest athletic tenant is the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very surprised that Cincinnati doesn't have an indoor sports team (NHL or NBA). It seems like a good sports market, and they'd only have to compete with the Bengals one day of the week 8 times a year. There's obviously no arena in place but it's never even mentioned as a possible market.

Cincinnati does have UC and Xavier basketball. Not quite major league, but I'm assuming one or both of those teams plays at US Bank Arena on a semi-regular basis.

Neither does. US Bank's biggest athletic tenant is the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones.

Well then I don't see the point of US Bank.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

U.S. Bank was built before UC and XU's arenas. UC used to play at U.S. Bank and XU was at Cincinnati Gardens. With Northern Kentucky University opening a new arena right across the river, I don't know how Cincy supports five arenas.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think the answer is they don't. The Gardens and US Bank Arena actually had duelling minor league hockey teams for a while in the early-to-mid 2000s that resulted in a (predictable) near-Mutually Assured Destruction scenario; the IHL-ECHL Cyclones went on hiatus from 2004 to 2006 and the Mighty Ducks died following the loss of their parent in 2005.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I was an undergrad at University of Dayton during the hockey wars, about an hour from Cincy.

And who can forget the debacle that was the Cincinnati RailRaiders!

And from a little research about the only thing that the Gardens hosts these days is indoor football, soccer, and roller derby.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived