Rate for Small Company Logo

The Fixer

Ok Pros. I have a generic how much to charge question.

I do not know how much his business will make over the next year so I can't really use that as a guideline. This is the first logo I'm making for a profitable company. He is starting his own Shaved Ice company that will be at lots of fairs and events. The logo will be on the trailer and other things. I'm making the logo as well as various treatments of it and a style guide type thing.

I know its a gray area, but how much do I charge? I haven't spent that much TIME on it, so I don't really want to do an hourly rate, but if I was doing an hourly rate what would that be?

Thanks for the help.

Ideally you should have agreed a price, or price range before taking on a job.

From your description it sounds like a lot of work, what you need to consider is:

• Time Taken
  • Complexity
  • Did you have to squeeze it into your schedule
  • What files are you delivering
  • Future qork/alterations

The main point is not to undervalue yourself. Many people undervalue design work as there is no physical product to hold at the end. People have no problem paying $500 for an ipad but when it comes to a logo/branding guidelines you better believe they'll think twice.

Another possible option is equity stake. This is slowly becoming a more popular payment method, especially when working with startups who may not have massive budgets. The best example of this is David Choe who painted some murals on the walls of a new company. Instead of taking cash he took shares, the company was Facebook, Tthse shares are now worth around $200million,

On a side not I quite like this diagram for when people query payment:

venn-diagram-scaled1000.jpg

logo.png

my flat rate is based on a few things, mostly covered by SDX above. for this project i would propose a rate of $425 with 2 concepts and 2 rounds of revisions. i'll work with the client a bit on price if i have to but i rarely go below $400 on an original design. if im executing their idea something like "i want my company's name set in a black sans-serif font" then i cut the price more for just being their production monkey

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived