Colorwerx NFL team colors page, Denver Broncos colors ?

ram29jackson

it says Royal and academy blue. But none say robins egg blue which is what I thought it was for a while in the 70s and 80s ?

in old videos in sunlight the helmets do look almost like a light blue...obviously not a "light blue" but lighter then the colors referenced in the chart as far as I can tell?

it says Royal and academy blue. But none say robins egg blue which is what I thought it was for a while in the 70s and 80s ?

in old videos in sunlight the helmets do look almost like a light blue...obviously not a "light blue" but lighter then the colors referenced in the chart as far as I can tell?

I don't believe it was ever officially called "Robin's Egg Blue"...I got the description straight out of the yearly NFL Record & Fact Guides (in all of its various forms) going back to 1970.

My color estimates (NFL teams didn't begin using Pantone colors until the early '80s) came from straight matching official color chips (from official Style Guides which included custom ink color chips to represent the match colors) to current Pantone colors. I stand by my claim that the early Royal Blue/Academy Blue was very close to 293 C.

Of course, the actual helmet shells (possibly unpainted stock shells?) may have been lighter; color standards and matching weren't deemed all that important back in those days.

ok..interesting stuff

whats all this about "matching color chips" ? I dont get what that means ?

In the '70s (and possibly even before that) the NFL Style Guide consisted of individual color sheets with the uniforms, helmets and logos printed in color on coated paper stock. Since no Pantone information was provided, each sheet had tear-off color chips that were to be used for matching to merchandise, equipment, etc.

I've got a 1976 NFL Style Guide set, and most of the sheets have all of the color chips still attached; a couple random ones had been removed, but there were usually 20 or 30 perforated chips attached to each page.

I don't believe it was ever officially called "Robin's Egg Blue"...I got the description straight out of the yearly NFL Record & Fact Guides (in all of its various forms) going back to 1970.

My color estimates (NFL teams didn't begin using Pantone colors until the early '80s) came from straight matching official color chips (from official Style Guides which included custom ink color chips to represent the match colors) to current Pantone colors. I stand by my claim that the early Royal Blue/Academy Blue was very close to 293 C.

Of course, the actual helmet shells (possibly unpainted stock shells?) may have been lighter; color standards and matching weren't deemed all that important back in those days.

you're correct...the smurf blue was the stock royal which is why the rams and giants opted for navy when teams stopped painting shells and went with molded plastic...I'm pretty sure the only teams that continued to paint were the teams with gold and silver metallic helmets.

Archived