This is what a $60 Million Dollar High School Stadium Looks like...

CDixonDesign

Honest question from someone who went to a small high school that didn't much care about its sports: what sort of benefits come from a high school winning lots of football games? Does it generate revenue to go back into the school? Does it just make coaches feel good? I understand the machine at the college level, but not high school.

It definitely helps to generate revenue, if a team is winning games there is going to be a larger crowd for the games. Larger crowds means increased ticket sales, souvenir sales and concessions. I help with my old high school's booster club and we make on average $1000 a game just at the concessions stand and our football team usually sucks. When we are doing good or have a visiting school that is doing really well where the fans will travel we make about $2000+ a game. Not bad money for a school in the "ghetto" of Topeka, KS.

A winning team also helps to raise the profile of the program, which makes it more likely that scouts will come to recruit players. That is the real benefit-helping the players get to the next level.

Also, for big time high school football programs in California, Texas, Florida, etc., sometimes some big companies will even sponsor you. And if you make state championship games, the school will probably get some of the TV revenue and probably even a cash prize from the state depending on how far you go in the playoffs.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might wanna add Ohio and ESPECIALLY western PA to that group. Hell, the alumni list of alumni from Aliquippa HS alone (Aliquippa is a 'burb of Pittsburgh) reads like a who's who of NFL all-stars?Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Ty Law, Darrelle Revis, Sean Gilbert, Mike Ditka, just to name a few. (And if it matters, "Pistol" Pete Maravich also hails from there.)

Of course, then there's the whole thing with the various Catholic schools in that region, which I won't get into here. But suffice it to say, for whatever reason or another, in some towns, high school football is a really big deal. (Oh and for all you jackwagons who love cracking on the south about our love of HS and college football, as I've just illustrated, it ain't just the south, either.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 year later...

Archived