Browns & Packers sets

Discrim

Browns: Years ago Colorwerx had wanted to see if something other than orange could better complement brown for the Browns, and I recall a large number of Browns concepts being posted due to his pondering. I was among them, and had utilized the color scheme he'd suggested: keeping brown, but complementing it with bronze and champagne silver (yeah, that goldish-silver color the USFL's Michigan Panthers had used). Fast forward to now, and I found myself thinking about that color scheme. Leaving the champagne out this time, for the home and away I merely decided to replace orange with bronze

brownsmain.png

And here goes the alt.

brownsthird.png

Packers: I've revisited more concepts than I think is legally healthy...and I do it again. I've also likely been at Gothamite's blog, the Wearing of the Green and Gold, more often than is healthy. Regardless, the early Packers G, which was more football-shaped than the current, oval G, got me to thinking, and so this time out, I decided a return to a football-like G would be rather welcome. My first try, which I likely won't release unless asked, was too pointy, so among other tweaks I realized I needed to make, I scrapped that and took aim at more of a football-like shape. It isn't the 60s G, exactly, but I feel it's reasonably close.

packersidsheet2012.png

uniforms after the jump. Yes, all the recolored Heismans go with a particular uniform...even the one that would look more at home in Happy Valley.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Home and away: Originally, the helmet and pants stripes were gonna be unchanged, but I'd liked the pants stripes Green Bay wore in Lombardi's first five seasons (think the Giants), so I decided to go with those. Then, since I don't exactly feel like reading through a page on consistency should STL Fanatic wind up here, I decided to use it on the helmet as well. Finally, the sleeve logos...they way I have them, they're more akin to the US Air Force roundel or Oklahoma State's stripes than they are to traditional stripes. And yes, the road whites are cream...hell, if anybody could pull it off in football, it'd be the Pack.

packersmain2012.png

Lambeau vintage thirds 1 & 2: Top one is based on the classic Lambeau set, the one the first great receiver wore, and as it's the only one of the alts with TV numbers, is meant to be the primary alternate, wtih the rest being either one-offs or would only be worn in place of #1 every 4 or 5 years. Bottom harkens to the mid 20s, though admittedly, replicating the nine stripes on each sleeve would be more feasible were the Packers a college team.

packersalt12012.png

Lambeau vintage 3&4: Top is based on one of Lambeau's occasional forays into green (IIRC, the uniform that immediately preceded the classic blues), in which they won the '36 NFL crown. The bottom one is based on the famed ACME PACKERS uniform, and honestly, I may as well have simply used yellow gold instead, seeing as this is largely meant for the Packers' 100th anniversary.

packersalt22012.png

Vintage 5 & 6: Can't really label either as Lambeaus as both are ripped from the 50s, right after he left. The uni on top is based on the early 50s duds, which existed in green, yellow and white, and were worn with gold helmets and green or gold pants. The bottom uni is based on what was the road uniform in the two years before Lombardi's arrival, and as you can see, looks like Penn State with Northwestern stripes. I have a feeling a certain New Yorker will let me know the shade of blue's not greenish enough :P (from the way Goth describes the mid 50s Packers jerseys, their color was apparently an ancestor of sorts to the Eagles' midnight green)...and yes again, the helmets are cream. As they said about Steve Austin, we have the damn technology. If they could make camouflage helmets for West Point, and put Maryland's state flag on the Terps' domes, they can make cream helmets for the :cursing: Green Bay Packers.

packersalt32012.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

No comments on this? Come on.

I really enjoy the main Packers set. It just drips Lombardi-era goodness, but it does it with clever color usage and branding instead of with cheesy uniforms elements. The other 6 throwbacks are overkill, IMO, but I think a green version of the Vintage 1 set would finish off the look nicely. I know that the Packers were originally navy, but having the Packers wear a permanent alternate in the color of their main rivals just feels wrong.

The Browns concept I could take it or leave it, but I think your shade of brown is too orange-tinted or sharp in saturation where it's bleeding into the orange you used. (EDIT: upon second look, it might just be the cream background that is the culprit and not the brown.)

re: Browns: odd...I've never used a cream background. Used to use white backgrounds years ago, dabbled in team color BGs but never cream. Oddly enough, that's pastel black. Moving away from the background to the foreground, maybe it's just you, I can see the whole shebang just fine. :therock:

Packers: Like I said, maybe I'm reading Wearing of the Green & Gold more than is healthy...but then people tend to forget the Super Bowl didn't decide the NFL champion until SB V (which has the somewhat fortunate side effect of people forgetting the Vikings were NFL champs once). Far as a green version of vintage 1, I used to think the same way, and while I still think it'd look nice, having it in navy is more true to the spirit of honoring the Lambeau era. Far as the rest of em being overkill, eh, better to have too many concepts than too few every now and then.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Way to think outside the box. I think I like the browns set and the use of the non-traditional orange. I'm not sure about the checkered flag on the alt though. Also, it seems that the shoulders have a little too much striping going on. Perhap's there's a way you can simplify that?

Man the work you do is one of the reasons I still come to this concepts forum. That bronze for the browns works really well, and I'd suggest eliminating the white pants for the primary sets and use it only for the bronze alt. I also really like that checker pattern on the alt sleeves.

The cream on the packers with the football G is just awesome. I think if you just took that home and away with the ACME alt you'd have one very solid set. I do like the rest, but I think that one stands out in its simplicity.

TDZiMMB.png

^Same here... I'd love to see either one (but prefereably the kelly green) become reality.

As far as your base Packers unis... The helmet and pant stripes should probably be the regular Brashier stripes since the Packers were the first to use them. I also like the return to 5 stripes, but think the heisman logo clutters them up.

Archived