Terrible team names (for logos) that persist

hockey week

The Packers. We all know the reasons for the name but how many logos have they churned out revolving around the actual theme?

I remember seeing one in a team yearbook from the 70s that featured a guy in a butcher's smock with a meat cleaver in one hand and a football in the other.

Also, this guy...

packy-packer.jpg

Ugh. The "Huddles". I remember those, and not very fondly.

packershuddlesmascot.JPG

That was a promotional image designed to sell stuffed toys. I'm not sure it counts as a logo.

While we're on it, I've always loved this program cover from the 1960 Championship game. The soon-to-be-victorious Eagle perched upon the mascots of all the teams they defeated to get there, turning its eye to the next opponent, a rather ungainly Packer.

eagle%2Bprogram.jpg

I don't think you could ever really do a logo or mascot based on the packers. I don't see it really working. Would just look goofy.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed there, I figure the only non-G thing that'd be accepted is the Heisman logo in some form, seeing as it's probably too late to do like Cudahy HS and use a bull or something.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

You'd think it would be pretty easy to create a cowboy logo, yet all the Cowboys could come up with was a star.

I think that is a fine logo that persists. It beats the heck out of an overly-detailed "tough guy" cowboy or something.

You are right that if they were an expansion team today, they'd probably have a far different logo, but I'd bet it would be overly-done and worse.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived