Terrible team names (for logos) that persist

hockey week

Hoosiers

I disagree.

Indiana is the Hoosier State. When you hear Hoosier (unlike say, Tigers or Warriors) you IMMEDIATELY think of the University of Indiana. Same thing goes for Cornhuskers, Buckeyes and Sooners. Those team nicknames are based off the actual nicknames for the states they represent and you only think of one single team.

That kind of branding is perfect, IMO.

I agree. I've always liked schools with nicknames based on their state nickname--Gophers, Hawkeyes, Badgers, Wolverines, Tar Heels, Volunteers, Beavers, Golden Bears, and Bruins (UCLA) are some additional ones.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First one that came to my mind is 'Bills'.

Others that haven't been mentioned are SuperSonics, Oilers, Islanders, Celtics, Magic, Heat, Steelers, 49ers, Sooners, and Cornhuskers.

no.

890.gifmjfh90bxecszrp1vt74hjs3jc.gif

This did just as good of a job portraying the team name. certainly better than the dynasty logo from the only period in their franchise that was any good.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

No matter how one tries to justify it, "Magic" is an overwhelmingly stupid name for a sports team.

I really hate ANY team name in a singular form. Magic, Jazz, Thunder, Rush, Soul, Power, Storm, Blaze, (most of AFL) and most soccer teams.

For some reason, a team name should have an 's' on the end to me.

I'm so glad we have not seen this in the NFL.

87Redskins.png

Texans. Their logo is the Texas state flag in the shape of a longhorn. There is not much else you can do with Texans.

while you can't do much much with 'texans' they do have a pretty good and iconic logo.

570.gif

which is certainly better than what the Chiefs did with them as the Dallas Texans

414.gif98ucbr6rbj5xem3jff1ceo9sc.gif

um ....no.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I like the old school Giants logo in my sig for an accurate depiction of a Giant, plus it has skyscrapers. So that's a double usage in that logo.

I think Giants could be used to refer to the skyscrapers in NYC and a better logo than their current script or NY they use. Something with the skyline or something would be cool. But the name then doens't make sense for SF even though they were originally in NY.

2ly2w09.jpg

Others that haven't been mentioned are SuperSonics, Oilers, Islanders, Celtics, Magic, Heat, Steelers, 49ers, Sooners, and Cornhuskers.

Oilers, Islanders, Celtics, Steelers, 49ers, Sooners, and Cornhuskers are all great nicknames for their teams.

The worst are the invisible intangibles, like the poster above states: Heat, Magic, Wild, etc. As far as tangibles go, I'll be forever confused as to why Wizards won out when the PC crowd made the Bullets disfavorable.

Some terrible ones from college: Zips (Akron)(named after a shoe covering), Golden Flashes (Kent State), Orange (Syracuse), Cardinal (Stanford), Green Wave (Tulane)

Some terrible ones from college: Zips (Akron)(named after a shoe covering), Golden Flashes (Kent State), Orange (Syracuse), Cardinal (Stanford), Green Wave (Tulane)

I think Akron has done a great job with their logos though, having a roo is genius and unique

EDIT: Nevermind

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I got nothin that hasn't been said already as far as names that don't lend themselves to logos all that well. Far as cities that don't lend themselves to decent team names too often...SYRACUSE. NEW. YORK.

Enough said, to the point that I'm genuinely shocked when a new Syracuse team actually manages to have a middle of the road name rather than their usual Fail O'Suckynames.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Texans. Their logo is the Texas state flag in the shape of a longhorn. There is not much else you can do with Texans.

It's the shape of bull not a longhorn.

Really? You knew what JAM49er meant but you still had to post this?

spacer.png

Oilers, Islanders, Celtics, Steelers, 49ers, Sooners, and Cornhuskers are all great nicknames for their teams.

The worst are the invisible intangibles, like the poster above states: Heat, Magic, Wild, etc. As far as tangibles go, I'll be forever confused as to why Wizards won out when the PC crowd made the Bullets disfavorable.

The thread isn't 'Weird Nicknames That We're Cool With Because They Fit The Team'. Also, I'd argue that Golden Flashes, Orange, and Green Wave are pretty easy to convey graphically.

Sigs are for sissies.

The thread isn't 'Weird Nicknames That We're Cool With Because They Fit The Team'. Also, I'd argue that Golden Flashes, Orange, and Green Wave are pretty easy to convey graphically.

How is "Orange" easier to convey graphically/in a logo than 49ers or Oilers or Cornhuskers?

Archived