Terrible team names (for logos) that persist

hockey week

Hilltoppers

wkutowel.jpg

I forgot about my Alma Mater...nice catch! BTW, the name comes from the location of the campus because it sets on a hill. The nickname could have easily been White (Albino) Squirrels as they run all over the campus.

08_squirrel.jpg

spacer.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilltoppers

wkutowel.jpg

I forgot about my Alma Mater...nice catch! BTW, the name comes from the location of the campus because it sets on a hill. The nickname could have easily been White (Albino) Squirrels as they run all over the campus.

08_squirrel.jpg

How about the Wildcats just because there are so many colleges that use them (UK, K-State, Weber State and much more) and is just generic. I really wish UK can change their names to Stallions or Mustangs because of the horse racing culture in the state of Kentucky. Also, leave the Hilltoppers name alone because it's more unique.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Hilltoppers

wkutowel.jpg

We have a high school team named the Hilltoppers here in VA. Their mascot is a ram which is known to hang out on cliffs.

MUHS here in Milwaukee does the same. I think Western Kentucky is the one of the few schools that doesn't take Hilltoppers to be a synonym for rams.

^But WDW isn't in Orlando. :huh: or it just 'by association'?.. ie name the team Magic because people connect the city to the resort.

The Orlando Magic got its name from the motto of the city of Orlando's department of tourism: "Discover the Magic."

So, so sad.

rATMcmK.png

Apparently, dolphins can't be portrayed properly in logos nowadays.

In addition to the aforementioned Thunder, Heat and Magic, I'll add Yankees, Nationals, and Dodgers.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

IBTD.

(in before thread degenerates...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If Giants is tough to portray (as it is) so is Titans. So are Astros.

Indiana has used several different logos to approximate a Hoosier, including a Buffalo and a guy in a cowboy hat.

Hilltoppers can be tough. I have seen a boy dressed in Lederhosen and carrying a climbing pick used as the mascot for a team called the Hilltoppers.

LehQRaC.png

If Giants is tough to portray (as it is) so is Titans. So are Astros.

The Titans do an ok job with the sword. It's not perfect, but there is some kind of tie-in to the team name there.

"Astros" technically just means "stars." So long as the logo includes a star they're good to go.

Archived