Nba nickname, new logo news

TruColor

Two items from this week's SportsBusiness Journal:

1. The New Orleans Hornets are going to keep the "Hornets" nickname; "There is a lot of brand equity in the name and the logo, and that equity has transferred seamlessly into the [New Orleans] market.  At this point, we don't see that changing."

2. The new Charlotte expansion franchise will likely announce its team name (and possibly logo) around the time of the NBA Finals in June.

There needs to be a huge nickname switch between the Hornets, Jazz, Lakers, and the new Charlotte franchise...we'd end up with the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Jazz, Utah Lakers, and some other LA team name...but for some strange reason I don't see it happening.  ???

Being about 20 miles from Charlotte, I care a lot about the new team...I just hope the new nickname ends in an S.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm not sure. I doubt it, the NFL team is the Panthers and I don't know if they'd want another "cat" themed name. I'd also like the team called "Charlotte" instead of "Carolina". NC/SC is a fairly big region to be represented by one team. I'd like to see the team called the Charlotte Royals, seeing as how Charlotte is called the "Queen City".

I hope for a plural nickname too, but there's enough cat nicknames around... time for something plural and original.

Although plural and original also got us the Columbus Blue Jackets travesty of a logo, so much for that idea.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm not sure. I doubt it, the NFL team is the Panthers and I don't know if they'd want another "cat" themed name.

I'd like to see the team called the Charlotte Royals, seeing as how Charlotte is called the "Queen City".

Detroit has 2 cat-themed teams (when the USFL was there it was 3) and Chicago has 2 bear themed teams, so I don't see Cougars being too problematic.

As for the Royals issue, I believe that Sacramento still has the rights to that name because they were originally the Rochester, then Cincinnatti (the other Queen City) Royals.

In any event, I am very glad Charlotte is getting another team.

Hollander, I agree...kind of. To me, "Lions" and "Tigers" sound ok..."Bears" and "Cubs" also sound ok, but "Panthers" and "Cougars"...I dunno. Cougars  would be fine with me though, as long as it's plural and it's not some goofy, off-the-wall name. I've also started thinking a little more and come up with Charlotte Pilots or Charlotte Flyers...yeah, not exactly original, but they'd commemorate the fact that the first flight was in Kitty Hawk, NC...pretty far away from Charlotte, but not that anyone would really care.

On a sort of related subject..does anybody else think the NBA is getting a little too..."creative" with new logos and team names? Teams in other sports seem to have more traditional or simpler logos and team names, but the NBA seems to be more...flamboyant. I mean...Heat? Magic? Wizards? Supersonics? To me, those nicknames seem kinda minor-leaguish. I don't like the logo for the Rockets, Pistons, or Jazz either...I mean, come on, the Jazz logo has mountains in it. Jazz and mountains??

I heard both Charlotte Webs and Charlotte Queens were the finalists.

I don't believe it for a second. No way a mens' basketball team would get called the Queens. Especially with Sacramento being called the Kings. I also think Spiders would be better than Webs. But that's just my opinion.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived