Leftover "Big East" = New "Metro Conference"?

dcameronh

They should add a school from Europe, name it the Intercontinental Conference, and their winner would be the Intercontinental Champion.

Actually - could they just sell the naming rights? Like make it the Hewlett Packard Athletic Conference? Then in a few years, the AT&T Conference? It would be a way to bring in a ton of revenue.

Now that is just damned stupid... and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it happen.

Right - adding a Europe school would be stupid. Selling naming rights however...

I was only referring to naming rights. It's stupid because it'd lead to the same problems a lot of the smaller-profile bowl games have... who actually knows that the Capitol One Bowl dates all the way back to the 40s, or that the Russell Athletic Bowl/Blockbuster Bowl/MicronPC.com Bowl are all part of the same lineage? Should that really be infected on our conferences?

That said, I really don't think that matters one way or another to the people in charge of these things... if they can make a quick few million, they'll do it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Navy pulls out before then...

That's the least of this conference's worries. Sure, Navy might pull out. However, I don't see that happening due to Navy being offered, or proactively securing for themselves, greener pastures elsewhere. Personally, I think Navy's a lock to join so long as the league's leadership can offer-up eleven other member institutions that Naval Academy brass don't see as being bottom-of-the-barrel programs.

You don't get much more bottom of the barrel than Tulane and Memphis.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived