Leftover "Big East" = New "Metro Conference"?

dcameronh

Since it looks like the "Catholic 7" will buy the rights to the "Big East" name when they leave next year, will the leftover BE schools bring back the old "Metro Conference" that died in 1995? I think it would be great idea

http://www.usatoday....s-name/1965393/

As for sports logos, here are some old logos from the old league that maybe could get put up on the logo site under past conferences.

Metro_Conference_logo.gif

Metro%20Conference.jpg

1990metroconference.png

champs.jpg

metro_news_cover.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the teams they'll have in the old big east they might as well call it the Little East

There already is a Little East Conference, in Division 3.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I kind-of-sort-of suggested this in the Pointless Realignment thread and thought they should fill out their ranks with other schools in large southern cities to get to an even 12, and split the division based on who actually spent time in the original Metro. Bold are teams from the original Metro, asterisks are next to teams that aren't in the current conference.

Temple

Connecticut

Houston

SMU

Georgia State*

Old Dominion*

Tulane

South Florida

Memphis

Lousiville

Cincinnati

Charlotte*

Storrs is a metropolis, for sure.

They still have a presence in two Top 10 media markets, which is increasingly the only thing that matters in college athletics. If nothing else, they can play the role the Gamecocks did in the original conference.

I kind-of-sort-of suggested this in the Pointless Realignment thread and thought they should fill out their ranks with other schools in large southern cities to get to an even 12, and split the division based on who actually spent time in the original Metro. Bold are teams from the original Metro, asterisks are next to teams that aren't in the current conference.

Temple

Connecticut

Houston

SMU

Georgia State*

Old Dominion*

Tulane

South Florida

Memphis

Lousiville

Cincinnati

Charlotte*

They still have a presence in two Top 10 media markets. If nothing else, they can play the roll South Carolina did in the original conference.

Don't forget UCF, they'll be joining the conference next year!

balitmoreorioles_sig1.png

Temple

Connecticut

Houston

SMU

Georgia State*

Old Dominion* UCF

Tulane

South Florida

Memphis

Lousiville

Cincinnati

Charlotte*

They still have a presence in two Top 10 media markets. If nothing else, they can play the roll South Carolina did in the original conference.

Don't forget UCF, they'll be joining the conference next year!

So I did.... frankly I'm surprised I didn't forget more than that given the giant fustercluck all the conferences have become. It's fixed now.

Is the Big East name still going to be used for the current football conference or will they have to change?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I assume change but the Missouri Valley Football Conference is separate from the other Missouri Valley Conference is memory serves me right.

The Rump East is going to play together in other sports as well as football, so if nothing else, that is where they need a new name.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I assume change but the Missouri Valley Football Conference is separate from the other Missouri Valley Conference is memory serves me right.

Just like the ECAC and ECAC Hockey are separate.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Just like the ECAC and ECAC Hockey are separate.

Yeah but at least the MVC and MVFC share some of the same schools as members. The "new" Big East and the leftover schools will not.

My choice of schools for the new conference would be the 11 schools that will be in the new conference (Cincinnati, UCONN, S. Florida, C. Florida, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Navy*, E. Carolina*), plus these three schools: Southern Miss (from C-USA), Tulsa (C-USA), and Army Football independent, Patriot League other sports)*

*-football only schools under the old Big East Plan

For football, there would be two 7 team divisions:

East: Army, C. Florida, E. Carolina, Navy, S. Florida, Temple, UCONN

West: Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa

Basketball: Army and Navy would remain in the Patriot League, so basketball could either be a 12-team league with no divisions or have 2 6 team divisions as follows:

East: C. Florida, Cincinnati#, E. Carolina+, S. Florida, Temple, UCONN

#-Cincinnati would be in the East Division for basketball, West Division for football

+-East Carolina would be a full member for all sports in the conference, however, if they choose, they could pick another conference for Olympic Sports, and either a non-football school would join or the league could make do with 11 teams for basketball.

West: Houston, Memphis, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

I think they should add UMass and call it a day. It would give them another NE team to make travel a little easier. 10 schools for non-FB and they can play round robin, 12 for FB and they can have a championship game.

If I were in charge of this league, I would try to get a grant-of rights agreement signed ASAP because if the B1G raids the ACC, the ACC will raid the "Metro" and it will fall apart real fast.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived