Leftover "Big East" = New "Metro Conference"?

dcameronh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I really like the Metro name but it looks like there is a favorite that is being leaked. No decision yet but it looks like they will call the former Big East football schools the "America 12 Conference" Not sure I like that. Metro Conference sounds better. Also they would only have 10 schools next year. Not sure why they would want to start off with a name that means nothing.

http://espn.go.com/c...-say?src=mobile

Not sure why they would want to start off with a name that means nothing.

Why is a 12-team (soon to be 14-team) conference dubbed the B1G TEN? Why did a 10-team conference retain the Big XVII name?

The soon-to-be America 12 Conference will welcome the United States Naval Academy to its membership in 2015. Tulsa University is expected to get an invitation to the conference in time for 2014. Adopting the America 12 sobriquet in the meantime is just a case of the current membership being proactive with regard to branding.

Not liking that name. Now we have the A10 and A12?

I guess C-USA still holds the rights to the Metro name?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Not sure why they would want to start off with a name that means nothing.

Why is a 12-team (soon to be 14-team) conference dubbed the B1G TEN? Why did a 10-team conference retain the Big XVII name?

The soon-to-be America 12 Conference will welcome the United States Naval Academy to its membership in 2015. Tulsa University is expected to get an invitation to the conference in time for 2014. Adopting the America 12 sobriquet in the meantime is just a case of the current membership being proactive with regard to branding.

And this assumes the rest of the membership is not frantically glancing at the exit and would leave at the first decent opportunity. At least Big Ten and Big Twelve names were accurate at one point. This one may never be.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I forgot about trademarkia. I'm glad to hear that the Am12 is only one possible name. Someone on another board thought the name was leaked to gauge reaction.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I forgot about trademarkia. I'm glad to hear that the Am12 is only one possible name. Someone on another board thought the name was leaked to gauge reaction.

I think this as well.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I'm not a fan of the name "America 12," if only because the conference will inevitably end up with greater or fewer than 12 members. It's one thing if you have a long-standing brand with a number (e.g., Big Ten) that you decide to maintain even after it becomes factually obsolete, but why start off that way if you're building a brand from scratch?

Well there's already the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), and the America East Conference in D1, so I'd don't think Metro or America 12 would work.

My suggestion would be something like the United Athletic Conference (which I'm surprised hasn't been used).

spacer.png

Well there's already the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC), and the America East Conference in D1, so I'd don't think Metro or America 12 would work.

My suggestion would be something like the United Athletic Conference (which I'm surprised hasn't been used).

Not sure about the United Athletic Conference? I like United 12 or something like that. But, I have no issues with America 12 or American 12.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

They should add a school from Europe, name it the Intercontinental Conference, and their winner would be the Intercontinental Champion.

Actually - could they just sell the naming rights? Like make it the Hewlett Packard Athletic Conference? Then in a few years, the AT&T Conference? It would be a way to bring in a ton of revenue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

UPDATE: During a conference call on Friday Big East commisioner Mike Aresco said "we have not chosen a new conference name at this time and there are no favorites."

So there is still a chance they could use Metro!

And this assumes the rest of the membership is not frantically glancing at the exit and would leave at the first decent opportunity. At least Big Ten and Big Twelve names were accurate at one point. This one may never be.

Just out of curiosity, what is going to bind this conference to being the America 12 in perpetuity regardless of the number of schools that belong to it? Why do you assume that if the America 12's membership shrinks or grows from the twelve member-institutions it plans to accommodate by 2015 that the conference would be forced to maintain the America 12 name? Further, given that the institutions in question were considered the so-called "football schools" within the old Big East, there's every reason to believe that the leadership of said conference would want to maintain a lineup of at least twelve members, thereby granting the conference the right to split into two six-team divisions and play a conference football championship game. Finally, if we're going to sit here and question what this conference should or shouldn't do based upon the impact that the realignment craze is having on collegiate sports, why don't we call into question the decision by these schools to form any new conference whatsoever? If you're going to assume that the proposed conference's membership is "frantically glancing at the exit and [c]ould leave at the first decent opportunity", said conference's name is the least of its worries. Hell... all of the schools should just declare themselves football independents and call it a day.

Not sure about the United Athletic Conference? I like United 12 or something like that. But, I have no issues with America 12 or American 12.

Conference motto: "Every day is opposite day!"

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just out of curiosity, what is going to bind this conference to being the America 12 in perpetuity regardless of the number of schools that belong to it? Why do you assume that if the America 12's membership shrinks or grows from the twelve member-institutions it plans to accommodate by 2015 that the conference would be forced to maintain the America 12 name? Further, given that the institutions in question were considered the so-called "football schools" within the old Big East, there's every reason to believe that the leadership of said conference would want to maintain a lineup of at least twelve members, thereby granting the conference the right to split into two six-team divisions and play a conference football championship game. Finally, if we're going to sit here and question what this conference should or shouldn't do based upon the impact that the realignment craze is having on collegiate sports, why don't we call into question the decision by these schools to form any new conference whatsoever? If you're going to assume that the proposed conference's membership is "frantically glancing at the exit and [c]ould leave at the first decent opportunity", said conference's name is the least of its worries. Hell... all of the schools should just declare themselves football independents and call it a day.

Well they don't have 12 now so that is part of the concern.

At some point the league is going to run out of Conference USA Sun Belt institutions who answer the phone, or markets to cobble together a bad TV deal. Especially now that they have lost the AQ carrot.

I just don't see them getting to 12. I think Navy pulls out before then, an eviscerated ACC raids their ranks for what can still be salvaged, and then the rump is then really short on options.

Today, we are all otaku.

I just don't see them getting to 12.

Clearly leadership of the conference does see membership reaching 12 schools. As they're actually in charge of operations and we're just fans who are spit-balling, they get to make that call.

I think Navy pulls out before then...

That's the least of this conference's worries. Sure, Navy might pull out. However, I don't see that happening due to Navy being offered, or proactively securing for themselves, greener pastures elsewhere. Personally, I think Navy's a lock to join so long as the league's leadership can offer-up eleven other member institutions that Naval Academy brass don't see as being bottom-of-the-barrel programs.

... an eviscerated ACC raids their ranks for what can still be salvaged, and then the rump is then really short on options.

Now this is a real possibility that could certainly throw a wrench into the works of this conference. In fact, I think there's a 70% chance it is going to happen. In which case, as I said, the accuracy of the conference's name will be the least of its worries. In fact, at that point, much of the conference's executive leadership may have well bailed out.

They should add a school from Europe, name it the Intercontinental Conference, and their winner would be the Intercontinental Champion.

Actually - could they just sell the naming rights? Like make it the Hewlett Packard Athletic Conference? Then in a few years, the AT&T Conference? It would be a way to bring in a ton of revenue.

Now that is just damned stupid... and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it happen.

... an eviscerated ACC raids their ranks for what can still be salvaged, and then the rump is then really short on options.

Now this is a real possibility that could certainly throw a wrench into the works of this conference. In fact, I think there's a 70% chance it is going to happen. In which case, as I said, the accuracy of the conference's name will be the least of its worries. In fact, at that point, much of the conference's executive leadership may have well bailed out.

This is just more reason to use the Metro name. Aside from being non-regional and alluding to something (member schools in large metropoli/media markets), there's plenty of schools out there that were in the old Metro (UAB, Charlotte) or fit its traditional profile of an urban university in the south (Georgia State, Old Dominion). These would probably be the first schools to get "called up" if the ACC came after UConn or Louisville.

Now that is just damned stupid... and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it happen.

Right - adding a Europe school would be stupid. Selling naming rights however...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived