NCAA Football Concept Series

Ben5

It’s not that hard for a team to have a good football uniform. A fan needs to recognize you whether they are at the stadium or watching you on TV. I will turn on a game and it takes me far too long to determine who is playing. In response, I have decided to start a concept series

Back in 2006, I made an ACC football concept thread. My goal back then is the same as it is now: make a concept that a team could use for years to come. The original thread can be found here, but my new ACC football thread starts right now.

A few notes:

• Alternate helmets: In general, I am against alternate helmets, but for a different reason than you might think: they are twice as much work. Fitting one helmet is hard enough. In this day and age, I realize that teams will have a second helmet, so when it will add something to the concept, I have let it go. But for a team like BC that has a helmet that has looked almost the same for decades, they don’t need three different lids.
  • Socks: Most of the socks in this series are professional style socks with a color on top and white at the bottom. I realize that most schools will not make their athletes wear these. On the other hand, I figured that it would look pretty good for most teams so I ran with it.
  • Release schedule: I am planning on dropping one concept everyday. I will link all the posts here after I put them up.

Boston College: BC is one of two Catholic schools to have BCS football teams. My first move was to drop the italicized BC; it doesn’t fit in the traditional, old school feel that I see with them. I couldn’t lose the eagle logo though; I merged the old logo with the new eagle to make the primary. I avoided the triple helmet stripe, as BC has a much longer history with just one down the middle, and if you are going to have multple helmets, they should actually be different. The jerseys are a mix of conservative and modern; the eagle is a sleeve logo, and their “stained glass” pattern is on the numbers, pants and helmet stripe. I find that if you have a gold outline on a white number (or vice versa), you lose the outline. Instead, I made the outline black, and I think it looks really sharp.

BostonCollege_zps564e682b.png

New Helmet template

Clemson concept

North Carolina concept

Clemson: Not much has changed between my original concept and what I just came up with (and what they actually wear). The major changes are the shoulders and the number font. The number font was chosen to match the “C” logo you sometimes see (like here:). On the shoulders, I have put the tiger paw logo. If you remember, this logo was on the shoulders prior to the tigers getting the Miami template (in 2004?). I brought it back because while you often see shoulder numbers and sleeve logos, you never see the opposite, and I think it’s great.

Clemson_zps7e4bc49e.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bringing this back with some general NCAA concepts (and my new helmet template, available in this thread.

North Carolina: The Tar Heels really took a step back with their new look. Black in the uniform makes navy redundant. And the university is really doing a good job avoiding making their men's basketball and football teams look cohesive. My goal here was to give the football team their own look, while still connecting them to the basketball uniforms (and the argyle) that we have seen for years.

unc_zps9166230f.png

Three helmets, three jerseys, because that's what the Tar Heels want to do now. I got rid of the navy pants, because an all navy look is not what North Carolina is about. I took vertical three stripe look that was on the collars of the old jerseys, and I've added it to the cuffs. It's something that really no one else does that ties the helmet stripe and the (returning) pant stripe in a simple, yet cool way. I put the Tar Heel logo on the white helmet, because I think it is a good logo for a helmet, but not the primary. As for the argyle, it's subtle, but there is an argyle print across all the numbers.

If you have any comments, drop me line.

Archived