Buttons on Authentic MLB Jerseys

rmackman

Below you'll see three button types on three different authentic MLB jerseys (Chicago Cubs Home, Arizona Diamondbacks Alternate, Chicago White Sox Alternate). Each one has slightly different buttons.

• The Cubs appear to use a "Cat Eye" shaped button.
  • The White Sox use a traditional, pearl colored, "4-Hole" button.
  • The D-Backs (at least in 1999) used same-color-as-jersey "4-Hole" buttons.

So, I'm curious if anyone out there has any knowledge regarding buttons. Are they arbitrary? Are teams supposed to use specific ones? Why are some teams "customized" for the color of the jersey and others not? All three of these jerseys are made by Russell Athletic, so it's before Majestic took over.

Thoughts?

ButtonCubs_zps499540dd.png

ButtonDiamondbacks_zpsd6ea14d7.png

ButtonWhiteSox_zpsae791bc3.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

While I'd like to think teams asked for custom, colorized buttons, it could simply be that jerseys were manufactured at different locations, and each location had slightly different buttons.

Henderson has some notes concerning buttons, but I don't have it with me right now. I think he said Majestic uses the 4-hole buttons on authentics & 2-button on replicas.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Interesting. These are all Russell, so maybe Majestic decided to make the button rules stricter...

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived