Trades that almost happened.

nash61

There was the famous Yzerman to Ottawa trade that almost happened after the 1995 season:

After the Wings were swept by the New Jersey Devils in the 1995 Stanley Cup finals Yzermans ability to lead the team came into question. On February 26th Jimmy Devellano and Ottawa GM Pierre Gauthier agree to a deal that would have sent Steve Yzerman and Chris Osgood to the Senators for Alexei Yashin, Damian Rhodes and their 1st round pick in 1996 (Chris Phillips 1st) & 1997 (Marian Hossa 12th). The deal was even submitted for league approval until Devellano pulled the plug later that day.

I know there was also a rumored deal that would have sent Pavel Datsyuk to New Jersey for Scott Gomez... Thankfully, that didn't happen either.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how close it was to happening, but there was a rumor that John Elway was going to be traded to the Redskins around 1991 or 92. All I know about it is that the Broncos wanted LT Jim Lachey as part of the package, and Washington didn't want to let him go.

In Training Camp 1987, Joe Gibbs almost traded backup QB Doug Williams to the Raiders, but had a gut feeling that Doug was going to help them out, so he decided not to. Boy, did he ever. One of the best gut feelings by a coach in history.

Archived