Maple Leafs look for new farm team home...

Brian in Boston

The Toronto Maple Leafs are reportedly looking to dump their player development deal with the City of St. John's, Newfoundland in time for the 2005-2006 American Hockey League season.

Rumor has it that the Maple Leafs want to move their AHL farm team into the Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto. Apparently, the Leafs and Edmonton Oilers - parent club of the AHL's Toronto Roadrunners, who currently call Ricoh Coliseum home - have met to discuss the option of the Leafs taking over as the Roadrunners' new parent club. There is no word on where the Oilers would look to set up shop for their top-level farm team.

In addition to the potential Toronto move, the Maple Leafs are also considering Hamilton (What would happen to the Bulldogs agreement with Montreal?), Windsor and London, Ontario as a new home for their farm club. St. John's remains a possible host city for the team, but is reportedly seen by Maple Leafs' officials as having only a slim chance of retaining the team over one of the other four cities.

Brian in Boston

That's too bad to St. John's. They just built a brad new arena a couple years ago (Mile ONE Stadium) and even got to host the All Star Game. From what I heard, they had tremendous fan support there. If the AHL leaves, that will only leave them open for ECHL or the Juniors.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

While it seems all but certain that the Maple Leafs are pulling out of St. John's, I don't foresee the AHL abandoning the city altogether. I'm sure that some NHL club will want - or at least be willing - to set up minor-league shop there. As jpslapshot points out, the facility is nearly brand new and fan support is tremendous. At most, the city will go a season without an AHL affiliate.

Brian in Boston

I don't know about that. This is the only team in the Atlantic time zone. I think all teams have to fly or ferry there. I think having a team on the mailand would save in some travel costs...at least in Saint John, Fredericton and Moncton, those places could be reached by bus. I think the AHL is expanding to larger cities closer in the region to other established teams.

Look at some of these cities that have lost teams in the last few years: Glens Falls (Adirondack), New Haven, Louisville, Lexington, Quebec City. The newer cities: Lowell, Manchester, Bridgeport, Binghamton, San Antonio, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

It seems the AHL is moving out of larger cities and moving to medium-size ones closer to the NY/Penn./NJ central area. Maybe the league could move into New Jersey, the only have ECHL for minor league, right? I don't know if the league may look back into Utica, but a lot of people here have mentioned Des Moines or Cedar Rapids, Iowa as the next big untapped market.

I think St. John's is too much out of the way for the league to expand there again. Remote locations might work for the ECHL (Alaska), but not for the AHL...Utah is still reasonably close to Winnipeg, San Antonio and Houston.

The Leafs should have the AHL team in TO, just like the Wolves should be teh Blackhawks AHL team. I always say the top minor league team shoudl be close to the parnet club.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's nice and convenient that way (especially when the 2 teams share a parking lot, right Philly?). But it's not quite that easy when you have 8 teams centered in one area. Some teams are close to their parents, but others are very far. Look at the New England teams:

Providence - Boston

Hartford - NY Rangers

Bridgeport - NY Islanders

Portland - Washington

Springfield - Tampa (I think Phoenix left)

Worcester - St. Louis

Lowell - Carolina/Calgary

Manchester - Los Angeles

NHL teams like Carolina can at least stop by to see Lowell frequently, because they play in Boston a couple times a year and Lowell is only 30 minutes away. But the other teams don't play in Boston much, or the affiliates are at least an hour outside of Boston.

The Leafs should have the AHL team in TO, just like the Wolves should be teh Blackhawks AHL team. I always say the top minor league team shoudl be close to the parnet club.

The 'Hawks may have to find a new affiliate anyway... Since the Admirals (I should clarify: the NORFOLK Admirals) are still in the process of being sold, they still haven't signed an agreement to be the Blackhawks' team next year, or even renewed their AHL status for next year. But they're working on it...

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Archived