Expanding the UGA Nike set

aawagner011

Hey everyone. I've posted my fair share of UGA concepts in the past, but with the release of the new Nike unis a few months back, I wanted to expand the set to include some color variety and options. I've had these on my Macbook for a couple of weeks but BB08's post inspired me to finally share them. The key feature of this set was to deliver a consistent brand identity across every uniform while expanding the set from what Nike delivered to the team (only a home and road set). Consider this more of a continuation of the new uniform set rather than a full-on refresh.

A lot of this concept stemmed from my own curiousity as to what a future alternate could look like with the new fonts and cuts. I left the uniforms Nike introduced the exact same- the home and road have not been altered. I took that and added an alternate helmet, two extra jerseys, and two other colored pants.

The additional helmet features a silver lid with a black mask. The "power G" logo sits on the side. I recognized that there is so much value in the current red helmet that I did not want to mess with a good thing too much. I was not a fan of the Boise State helmet, however, a silver helmet does have historical precedent. The classic pants striping on the lid adds some familiarity to an otherwise nontraditional Georgia helmet. No additional helmets will be worn with this set besides the red or silver lids. The black helmet from the UF game a few years back definitely didn't resonate as a Georgia uniform.

The briefly used black jersey returns to the rotation and features the same general scheme when it was worn in 2007 and 2008. If any school deserves to do a blackout, Georgia has to be at the top of that list. The school's colors are strictly red and black. Georgia introduced the blackout in a time where uniforms weren't all the rage like they are today. Not to mention that the blackout was led secretly by the seniors and organically announced to the fans by word of mouth (rather than the athletic department telling fans to "wear your black shirt" or printing it on the ticket stubs). UGA fans definitely showed up well in what is often called the loudest Sanford Stadium has ever been. Some fans might say the black is cursed... but they were 2-1 in the black jerseys (Auburn win, Sugar Bowl win, loss to Bama) and 0-1 in the black helmet and pants (Florida). It's time for the black to come back to Athens.

Pants are now offered in red and black in addition to the standard silver. The red harkens back to the Herschel days when he was running over Tennessee's defensive players. The black has been seen a few times over the years (including the Champ Bailey years and more recently in that Florida loss when they were paired with the black helmets).

The gray jersey is supposed to be the wildcard of the bunch that extends the brand identity further but in a familiar manner. Large sleeve striping continues the same pattern from the pants (shifting numbers to the shoulders). The school wordmark sits upon the chest. The same numbers color and collar are used from the white jersey to mesh well with the rest of the uniform set. The gray will be a nice addition to the set but still provide a look that clearly resonates as Georgia.

Ideally, the uniforms would be worn like this:

-Primary home uniform worn for all home games but 1 (not eligible for homecoming)

-Primary away uniform worn for at least half of the away games

-Silver helmet limited to 1 or 2 games per year

-Alternate jerseys limited to 3 times per year

-Postseason SEC game and bowl uniform at team's discretion but must wear red helmet

This would continue the primary home and road look (same uniforms Nike unveiled earlier this year) for at least 9 of the 12 regular season games. The team could wear the blackout look of their choice for one home game. For the 3 remaining away games, they could alternate the pants colors or use the gray uniform. I like the idea of occasionally wearing gray on the road. Ole Miss has done a nice job of it and Cal looks to continue that this year. I recall the Cal coach stating it follows the baseball trend to wear gray on the road.

And now I've typed entirely too much... but I do like y'all understanding my logic for the design decisions I make. Let's get to the concepts. The following are the primary versions of the home, road, blackout, and gray uniforms:

18yfqd.png

b70z6r.png

4tqa9u.png

2nls6t1.png

The following are variations of the above uniforms:

mafk39.png

2vd1aw8.png

a4tvn6.png

a27ml1.png

mhtu1c.png

2ry3n8i.png

***Edit- just realized I have the triple stripe wrong on the silver helmet. It should be reversed on the back view. Whoops!

The additional helmet features a silver lid with a black mask. The "power G" logo sits on the side. I recognized that there is so much value in the current red helmet that I did not want to mess with a good thing too much. I was not a fan of the Boise State helmet, however, a silver helmet does have historical precedent. The classic pants striping on the lid adds some familiarity to an otherwise nontraditional Georgia helmet. No additional helmets will be worn with this set besides the red or silver lids. The black helmet from the UF game a few years back definitely didn't resonate as a Georgia uniform.

I would love that silver helmet in real life. Ahh! Excellent.

The striping on the helmet was an awesome touch. I love everything you posted, though I think all-silver would look strange.

PJU85JF.png

I really like these! Good job! One suggestion would be to see if you could work silver into the pants' stripes.

Thanks! I debated doing that because then I could introduce it into the hidden stripes on the red and black pants. However, I decided that would dilute the strength of that iconic pattern UGA is so well known for. Instead, I just decided to apply the stripes consistently regardless of the pants color. This is similar to the way Florida handles their striping (except for the orange jersey).

I really like it, as well, and it's now become a staple of any Georgia concept I create. I especially like the way it plays off of the matching pants. If Georgia had no tradition, that silver/red/silver, silver/black/silver, and silver/white/silver would be my first choices. But of course history and tradition win here and I still love the classic helmet. Thanks for the warm words, BB.

The striping on the helmet was an awesome touch. I love everything you posted, though I think all-silver would look strange.

Thank you for your comments. As for the all-silver, I'm limiting the gray alternate uniform to strictly the red helmet as shown in the mockup. I agree that it would be awkward for Georgia and chose not to include it. Also, with the new Nike materials, remember that it is more of a flat gray instead of silver. I just called it silver because that's traditionally the normal color of the Dawgs' pants but Nike has been unable to provide a sheen yet. Therefore the alternate gray uniform would all be of the flat gray color.

Sorry for the double post y'all. On my crummy third-gen iPhone and didn't realize it wouldn't autopopulate the quotes into one post. I did figure it out in this one, though.

I definitely love your expansion of Georgia's uniforms and the fact that the striping on the silver helmet matches the silver britches. But as a question, did you consider adding a black helmet, or was it not in the plans for this expansion? Other than that, this is great.

Thanks Bolt. As to the black helmet, I recognized that it had been used once previously (loss to Florida a few years back) but it never resonated with me as a Georgia helmet. I hated it the second they came on the field with it. I don't think they could do black in a way that still communicates the UGA brand, in my opinion. Meanwhile, Georgia has a history of solid silver lids as well as lids with a block G on the sides. This provides a fauxback option with the modern G and the addition of the pants stripe. The black helmet seemed generic to me and didn't have the strength of all three dominant colors like the red lid has. That black G pops so well with the white outline on the red shell. The black looked stale with a black G on black. Also, the red facemask it used felt awkward. Basically, the silver came down to historical precedence and the ability to utilize all the colors in a familiar way (shifting the pants stripe to the helmet).

• 3 months later...

Archived