Riddell no longer the Official Helmet of the NFL

Mevins31

i think simpson could take on of their racing helmets cut off the face part and visor and replace it with a face mask, and you would probably have the safest football helmet ever created

That's kind of what they're doing, but the demands are different across the two sports.

I had never heard of those Simpson helmets before, but they sound promising. I hope they get a chance. It's probably not possible at this time, where a helmet still has to look cool so a player will choose to wear it, but I think football helmets need to get bigger. If you can make it weigh half as much and even protect better than a regular helmet, that's great... use some of that saved weight to make the helmet bigger. It probably looked weird when players went from the very thin leather helmets to the relatively huge plastic helmets, but people got used it. Whatever cushioning you can provide in (just for example) two inches of space, you should be able to provide significantly more in four inches of space. Padding in a helmet is all about spreading the force of an impact over a longer period of time. If you were jumping from a high height, would you rather land on a one foot thick cushion or a two foot thick cushion made of the same materials?

Part of the reason that the military switched to lighter combat helmets was that the extra padding and weight were actually dangerous to troops in a rollover ot IED explosion. it kept kinetic energy in instead of dispersing it. I seem to remember a report saying the Army and NFL would share concussion data to improve helmets used by both entities.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The helmet won't say riddell on the bumper and will stay blank just like how Schutt, Rawlings , Xeineth are now. The only thing this means is riddell can't have their name on the helmet.

smith7.jpgThey'll look like Alex Smith's does currently

Or they could look like the Giants's...

nfl_u_manning_gb2_576.jpg

Count me among those who suspect the helmets will not have manufacturers' logos; they will do whatever the team currently does with non-Riddell helmets, meaning a few teams will go blank (Chiefs and Steelers come to mind) and most others will use some kind of team logo. Since the main reason the NFL keeps giving for ending the deal is so they don't promote one company over another, they will go with covering all company logos and leave it up to the team to stay blank or to go with a team logo. I suppose we might see the Steelers and Chiefs even add their team wordmark to the helmet.

Archived