Vote For Best Team By Design

FALCON6

I think we’ve all wanted to see each team’s uniforms and logos from the big four leagues (NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA) matched up and discussed, and a champ of sports design chosen.

This tournament starts with each NFL team facing its bitter division rival. The team that wins will face another team from its division, until two teams battle for the league crown. The winners from each league will be matched up to decide an ultimate winner. I have created this bracket with my aunt and member of the boards EAGS. I will be posting a round for two divisions from the NFL over four days, then, the NHL, then the MLB, and finally the NBA. Then I will do the next round from each league’s divisions.

Please VOTE for your choice for each matchup. The team with the most votes will move on. Base your votes on: all logos and uniforms, plus colors and team name, past and present. Just think of the overall design and compare it with that of the other team. Also, if the team has changed name or location, for example: Houston Oilers becoming Tennessee Titans, please take the former team’s design history into account. Be warned, PART OF THE REASON I AM A FALCONS FAN IS THE DESIGN. I will be voting their way often. I will close this round’s voting at the end of Feb.

NFL ROUND 1

AFC EAST: BILLS VS. DOLPHINS JETS VS. PATRIOTS

AFC NORTH: STEELERS VS. BROWNS RAVENS VS. BENGALS

AFC SOUTH: COLTS VS. TITANS JAGUARS VS. TEXANS

AFC WEST: CHIEFS VS. RAIDERS CHARGERS VS. BRONCOS

NFC EAST: REDSKINS VS. COWBOYS GIANTS VS. EAGLES

NFC NORTH: BEARS VS. PACKERS LIONS VS. VIKINGS

NFC SOUTH: FALCONS VS. SAINTS PANTHERS VS. BUCCENEERS

NFC WEST: RAMS VS. 49ERS SEAHAWKS VS. CARDINALS

STARTING ROUND 1 WITH THE NFL AFC EAST AND AFC NORTH

My Votes:

BILLS V DOLPHINS: Throughout their history, the Bills have had one of the best uniforms. The logo avoids the cartoon trap so many logos fall into, maybe because it’s a silhouette. The red “wing” adds a sense of focused power. The Dolphin’s logo, while becoming sleeker and more graceful this year, has long been a dolphin wearing a football helmet—cute, but cute is not football. (The Dolphins have also made their wordmark cleaner and therefore more forceful this year, but their previous wordmark was an overweight cursive.) The Bills also have the advantage in terms of color: the red and blue primary colors are bold, while the Dolphins teal and orange suggest relaxing in the tropics. Pretty, but, again, not football.

JETS V PATRIOTS: The Jets win, thanks to their perfect logo from 1978-1997, the one with the jet plane, speeding off of the “J.” Its sharp, stylized look suggests speed and is classy, grown-up and no-nonsense. It’s simple without being boring.

STEELERS V BROWNS: This rivalry, the oldest in the AFC, comes down to colors. Both have old-looking uniforms; one has a rather cluttered logo and one has no logo at all, but orange and brown obviously crumbles in the face of the gold and black.

BENGALS V RAVENS: The name, and brilliant helmet, will stomp over the Raven’s cartoonish logo. (Although I think the Raven’s name is better—it’s unusual, right for it’s place and somewhat threatening—just right for football.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived