A B A heads "north of the border" again.

Brian in Boston

That's right! The ABA is truly NAFTA's basketball league now. Calgary, Alberta has been named the ABA's 27th expansion team.

I bet all of you Canadians are just speechless over your good fortune, huh?

Brian in Boston

P.S. I don't really consider Vancouver's franchise to be truly "Canadian"... after all, the entire roster is going to be Chinese and the prospective coach is an American.

okay, okay ABA, you've probably set the record for most expansion teams in one year...but this got old on the second announcement :evil:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

P.S. I don't really consider Vancouver's franchise to be truly "Canadian"... after all, the entire roster is going to be Chinese and the prospective coach is an American.

How come??? Explain.

It's similar to my take on the Albuquerque-based ABA team being comprised entirely of Native Americans. At what point does setting up a sports franchise so that it only offers opportunities to a single racial background become counter-productive to those it is meant to help?

For instance, there was a time when the Negro Leagues were the only outlet that African Americans had should they want to play organized, professional baseball. It was segregationist and a distinct example of a "separate-but-equal" policy at play. The fact that the teams of the Negro League were, in some cases, owned and operated by African Americans didn't make it any better. African-American ballplayers were being denied the opportunity to play at the highest levels of pro baseball solely because of their race, and the Negro Leagues were a consolation prize.

So to see a group of Chinese basketball players or Native American basketball players being subjected to the "sideshow" nature that a single-race sports team implies is just anathema to me. To see them go along with it is even worse. It sends the none-too-subtle message of "Hey... most of these guys probably wouldn't be able to make an ABA team if it weren't for the fact that this team has implemented an all-Chinese rule (or all-Native American rule, etc.)". It's a gimmick. What's more, it's a gimmick based on race... which is sickening.

What's more, in the case of the Vancouver ABA team, I find it ironic that the ABA's first Canadian-based franchise will reportedly be comprised of an entirely Chinese roster coached by an American.

Brian in Boston

Should be non-negotiable-

Just make the jerseys red.

Minimum standard

make the name & logo not too embarrassing!

but hopefully they outdo themselves...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The ABA expansion should provide an interesting test of the strength of local college and high school basketball in the areas where ABA teams are located,as with a $120,000 salary cap per team,most players will probably be local to each franchise.It's hard for me to see many players relocating for ABA-scale pay.

Archived