Padres/Mariners Throwback Numbers

slapshot

I had posted this in the MLB thread, but it may have gotten hidden under pictures of the MLB camo...

Are the numbers used in the Padres "Taco Bell" throwbacks the same as the Mariners throwbacks?

How similar is this font to NCAA Gothic?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Oops..my bad. Forgot there were many.

Here's the Padres

14279782295_dee88d887b_o.jpg

...and the Mariners

14093139088_300a9793ed_o.jpg

I am wondering how close the 2014 versions are to the originals (numbers only), and how close the franchise fonts were, if not the same.

The 2014 versions look identical, but were the originals?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, according to "Game Worn Jerseys of the Double Knit Era", these are incredibly similar (only difference is the outlining and some of the ends):

9574006590_aa0039ed83_c.jpg

SMe0CLZ.png

However, there are variations to the Padres version of the font, as Bill Henderson said:

"The Padres were the first team to really go Mod with their uniforms (all yellow uniforms in 1973) and then added this wild type font for their numbers starting in 1978. This font is used in 1 color, 2 color and 3 color versions through 1984. Note the rotation on the 9. I believe that the way I have placed is correct, as the designer intended, however, period uniforms show up many times with the 9 rotated counter-clockwise so that the bottom stroke is flat across the bottom."

Several other teams used this font or one that was remarkably similar, like the Mavericks:

dal_uni_02.jpg

and the Sixers:

nba_jersey12a.jpg

Archived