New Mets Uniform

clannhoran

Hey guys, calm down a bit. I've read up on the Rangers/Celtic rivalry, and I've always wanted to go to a match there (Though do to my heritage, on the green side in the middle, to avoid getting hit by anything). It and India/Pakistan are probably the two greatest rivalries in international sport. Celtic and Rangers are always on top, spend a gazillion more then everyone else, and it makes for quite good games (Hmmm, sounds like the AL east, eh? :P )

I personally wouldn't equate anything with having a gun held at me (Never had the expierience, never want to), but I must believe the tension would be near unbearable, nearly primal.

Not to say that it's a good thing that it is.

And frankly I don't give a rat's #ss whether you feel I was being a bit too glib about comparing sport with staring down the barrel of a gun. Have you been there, have you ever had a barrel stuck in your face? I have and I survived the experience, and I have every right to use it in my commentary.

Do me a favor. Don't presume that you know more about "the troubles" than I do. Don't lecture me to do research on their history, or the history of Ireland's long and painful struggle for independence. There are branches of my family to whom "the troubles" and the history of Ireland are all too familiar... all too real. Far more real than to be casually mentioned as a "side-plot" to a sports rivalry that, while deep-seated and heated (I have relatives in Scotland, as well), is - at the end of the day - a sports rivalry.

Love your culture. Love where your people come from. Embrace your people's history. However, as long as we're giving each other advice, why don't you do all of those who have lost a loved one to "the troubles" a favor by showing the departed the respect of not dragging their sacrifice into an inconsequential thread about the color of baseball uniforms and soccer rivalries. It's assenine. What's more, it demeans the sacrifices that others have made.

Finally, as a matter of fact, I have stared down the barrel of a gun. Obviously, I survived. So, I stand by my assessment that your statement was "glib". You're right, you've got every right to use your experience at the end of a gun's barrel as part of your commentary. Just as I have every right to tell you that you sound immature and woefully misguided doing so.

Bottom line? Introducing "the troubles" as a talking point into a debate over the color of the New York Mets' uniforms is a stupid thing to do.

Brian in Boston

Orange and blue must always be the main color of the Mets

MEET THE METS,

MEET THE METS,

Step right up and greet the Mets!

Bring your kiddies,

bring your wife;

Guaranteed to have the time of your life

because the Mets are really sockin? the ball; knocking those home runs over the wall!

East side,

West side,

everybody?d coming down

to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!

Oh, the butcher and the baker and the people on the streets,

where did they go? To MEET THE METS!

Oh, they?re hollerin? and cheerin? and they?re jumpin? in their seats,

All the fans are tru to the orange and blue,

so hurry up and come on down -

?cause we?ve got ourselves a ball club,

The Mets of New York town!

Give ?em a yell!

Give ?em a hand!

And let ?em know your rootin? in the stand!

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MEET THE METS,

MEET THE METS,

Bring your kiddies,

bring your wife;

because the Mets are really sockin? the ball; knocking those home runs over the wall!

East side,

West side,

everybody?d coming down

Give ?em a yell!

Give ?em a hand!

That is probably the best team song....

MEET THE METS,

MEET THE METS,

Bring your kiddies,

bring your wife;

East side,

West side,

everybody?d coming down

Give ?em a yell!

Give ?em a hand!

That is probably the best team song....

Amen!

Clann, I never accused you of hating anyone, and you know I wasn't referring to your Mets concept, but rather to what you said about the vibe you can get from the palpable hatred at a Celtics vs. Rangers match in Glasgow.

We weren't talking about an off-the-cuff remark like "I hate peanut butter with margarine", or "I hate the Yankees". You said, quite specifically, that hatred can be cool. You quoted my post about sectarian violence and the Khmer Rouge, so let's not pretend that we have a misunderstanding about the scale of hatred we're talking about here.

You said that the fans in Glasgow hate each other with an intensity that can only be matched by the life-and-death situation of staring down the barrel of a gun, and that that kind of hatred is "very cool". That's what I was replying to when I said that getting high off hatred isn't cool. That is the kind of thing that allows people to justify barbaric behaviour like occurred in Rwanda and the Balkans in the mid '90s.

My point, which you either missed or ignored, was that this forum wasn't the place for this discussion.

You know, when the World Trade Towers were attacked, the inhumanity of it didn't surprise me at all. I had no more faith in the goodness of man after what I'd seen on the news the week before. Hundreds of people in Northern Ireland having a grand time, getting together to heave rocks at little girls trying to walk to school.

That's the kind of hatred you think is "very cool". If you have a problem with me disagreeing with that, then you can cram it up your arse sideways, wiseguy.

It's a clean look... I'll give it that. But getting rid of orange is messing with too much tradition.

Get rid of the orange on another team and maybe we can talk. Even though personally, I like it, I think it can mess up some unis if it's not used right.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Do me a favor. Don't presume that you know more about "the troubles" than I do. Don't lecture me to do research on their history, or the history of Ireland's long and painful struggle for independence. There are branches of my family to whom "the troubles" and the history of Ireland are all too familiar... all too real. Far more real than to be casually mentioned as a "side-plot" to a sports rivalry that, while deep-seated and heated (I have relatives in Scotland, as well), is - at the end of the day - a sports rivalry.

Love your culture. Love where your people come from. Embrace your people's history. However, as long as we're giving each other advice, why don't you do all of those who have lost a loved one to "the troubles" a favor by showing  the departed the respect of not dragging their sacrifice into an inconsequential thread about the color of baseball uniforms and soccer rivalries. It's assenine. What's more, it demeans the sacrifices that others have made. 

Brian in Boston

The fact that you're totally missing the point leads me to believe that you don't know your history. Those four hundred years of tension between the two camps have led to the most intense sport rivalry I've ever witnessed . That underlying hate is the reason for the intensity, hence, it's cool.

And yes, back to giving advice. My advice for the day is that you look up the definition of the word context, as in "taken out of context".

And to close, I'll be sure to say a prayer and mention to all my dearly departed that have left this earth due to the troubles that all is well, they now have a spokesman here to make sure their sacrifices shall not be in vain.

CGP.gif

Clann, I never accused you of hating anyone, and you know I wasn't referring to your Mets concept, but rather to what you said about the vibe you can get from the palpable hatred at a Celtics vs. Rangers match in Glasgow.

We weren't talking about an off-the-cuff remark like "I hate peanut butter with margarine", or "I hate the Yankees". You said, quite specifically, that hatred can be cool. You quoted my post about sectarian violence and the Khmer Rouge, so let's not pretend that we have a misunderstanding about the scale of hatred we're talking about here.

You said that the fans in Glasgow hate each other with an intensity that can only be matched by the life-and-death situation of staring down the barrel of a gun, and that that kind of hatred is "very cool". That's what I was replying to when I said that getting high off hatred isn't cool. That is the kind of thing that allows people to justify barbaric behaviour like occurred in Rwanda and the Balkans in the mid '90s.

My point, which you either missed or ignored, was that this forum wasn't the place for this discussion.

You know, when the World Trade Towers were attacked, the inhumanity of it didn't surprise me at all. I had no more faith in the goodness of man after what I'd seen on the news the week before. Hundreds of people in Northern Ireland having a grand time, getting together to heave rocks at little girls trying to walk to school.

That's the kind of hatred you think is "very cool". If you have a problem with me disagreeing with that, then you can cram it up your arse sideways, wiseguy.

It wasn't my intent to quote you, but to respond to the "I Hate William of Orange, Up the Provos!" quote. And there are levels of hatred in every bit of our lives, it's how we deal with it that makes us slightly more civilized than the apes. I hate blue (or is it bleu) cheese. That doesn't mean I'll attack the cutting board and viciously crumble it to death, taken in context it's just a harmless term.

The Rangers / Celtic fans have (despite very good reasons to truly despise each other) somehow managed to bring that hatred into the world of sports, without taking that final step into true violence. But again, please note that I'm talking about a sporting event, and the term "hate" should be taken in that context, and whether B.o.B. likes it or not, the historical "troubles" are the very reason for the intensity of this particular sporting rivalry. But again, "hate" should be considered in terms of the sporting event.

Which leads me to the real problem. I do hate peanut butter with margarine, it freaks me out! It's wrong beyond compare. Of all the accompaniments on God's green earth, why would someone choose to mix peanut butter with margarine? Why not jelly, why not fluff, why not bananas? But margarine, my God, what have we become? :blink:

CGP.gif

Archived