Throwball Club Cup: 2016 Japan

jmoe12

Maybe I missed something in the rules, but I don't imagine how a volleyball sized ball would be able to be scored on 3' x 4.5' net with an adult man standing in net. That is not very big, considering it is half the width of a hockey goal.

You didn't miss anything, CanucksBrad, and you actually touched on one of my biggest concerns for the rules. The ball I used was originally smaller, but after it popped, I had to find a replacement, and a volleyball was the one thing I had. Most goals are scored on breakaways or from close range chances, and shots taken from the outside are usually 80+ miles an hour with deadly accuracy. In reality, it may not be practical, but in my fictional world, it will do for now. This may be something I change in the future, though

Throwing a volleyball over 80 MPH?? Holy Crap who would play goalie in the sport lol.

Yeah, 80 mph was an exaggeration, but they put plenty of heat on the ball when shooting from the outside

What can you tell me of the Boston Rebellion (I love the team name btw)

Boston has been a hard luck franchise for nearly its entire existence, failing to win a single trophy. They are one of the oldest throwball clubs in the world, and are always passionately supported, but they play in a tough division, and struggle to make the playoffs. If things pan out with young studs like Preston Parker and Donovan Blake, the Rebellion could be competing for the playoffs in 2017.

Now, for the next team, and it's one you might have seen before. 

buVxOom.png

Version 1

Spoiler

MPkgmL2.png

Club Cup Appearances: 3 (2016, 2004, 1994)

Best Finish: 3rd (1994)

2015 Season Result: 97 points (1st in American Throwball Association)

Making their triumphant return to the Club Cup, Empire brings a revamped and star studded lineup to Japan. The big spending habits of the 90s returned in glorious fashion, as Empire picked up Mario Esposito from Colombia in 2012, Courtney Gaffney from Ireland in 2013, and calling up Zayne Harper from loan at Providence in 2014. Many thought Empire would finally break onto the scene in 2016, but the breakthrough came a year early, bringing home a club record 97 points. A playoff disappointment saw them fail to claim the double, but a strong campaign in Japan would erase that bitter memory.

The purple over gold design of Empire's home kit is about as classic as it gets in Throwball. This kit has stayed relatively unchanged in 35 years. The clash uses pinstripes as a tie-in to the city's baseball teams. Pinstripes have been used in the past, but never with the purple sleeves you see in this year's kit.

C&C appreciated!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team number 4!

ZoS1vbg.png

Club Cup Appearances: 7 (2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2002, 1994)

Best Finish: 3rd (2002)

2015 Season Result: 96 points (1st in English Throwball Championship)

The “Crusader Way” has helped London to grow their youth system to the best in the world, and made Crusaders the most decorated franchise in England. A roster full of home-grown talent like Jeffrey Cohen and Mayer Elliot won another English Championship this year, their ninth. But supporters have become impatient with the lack of success at the Club Cup, as they fell in the Quarterfinals again in 2014. Critics say that Jeffrey Cohen can never be considered the world’s best player until he wins a major trophy, and the 2016 Club Cup gives him another chance to show his skill to the world.

Nothing too groundbreaking with the design. The cross on the shirt was supposed to represent a crusader's armor. The clash is just a color-swap of the home. Crusaders fans love tradition, so these kits are rather basic.

C&C Appreciated!

Interesting to use traditional Lakers/Kings colours for the NY team. Only criticism is the name on the back of the pinstripes is hard to read.

I struggled to get the name on the back legible on that one, do you think it would look better without the gold outline?

This is awesome! Definitely following! Go Empire New York!

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Team #5!

LiA5mss.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2014, 2002, 1996)

Best Finish: Champions (1996)

2015 Season Result: 99 points (1st in Iberian Throwball Premiership)

A very rich and very powerful Spanish side, Madrid has surprisingly only made the Cup 4 times. Madrid began assembling their new era of superstars in 2009, when they signed Siddhare Eispaker out of Cameroon. This mega deal, which was the 10th largest ever at the time of signing, was followed by transfers for Mohamed Gavino and Arsenio Madeira, making Madrid’s starters the most expensive in the world. With all the money going into the team, fans have put them under increased pressure to win now, and this Club Cup is the perfect chance to show that they’ve made the right investments.

The design is fairly simple. The logo is just a stylized M with the crown from the city seal added to the top. The home kit is very basic as well, with a Maroon and Lavender being a unique color scheme in the world. The clash is just the home kit in lavender from head to toe.

C&C appreciated!

South America's first entry into this Cup

fqnm7NQ.png

Version 2

Spoiler

UzvJoKk.png

Version 1

Spoiler

9jeR8BN.png

Club Cup Appearances: 11 (2016,2014,2012,2010,2008,2006,2004,2000,1998,1996,1994)

Best Finish: 4th (2014)

2015 Season Result: 95 points (1st in Brazilian Federation of Throwball)

Continuing their streak of 7 consecutive Club Cups, as well as their 11th overall. But the fans’ frustration is growing as 9 times the Saints have failed to reach the Semifinals. It astounds many in the world that a team that has dominated the BTF for its entire existence has never really showed up at the Club Cup. Another player in the discussion for best in the world, Tito Laerte needs an international trophy to improve his resume. A supporting cast full of speedy and super talented Brazilians up and down the roster allows Salvador to execute their fast-paced game to perfection. Stopping the Saints’ offensive machine is one of the toughest tasks in the world.

The crest features a halo on top of a pentagon with diagonal blue and white stripes. The white stripes form an "S" for Saints and Salvador. The kits are fairly progressive, with stripes everywhere.

C&C away!

I really like what you've done with Salvador. A real strong identity indeed.

Could you please try the away without white shorts?

Are you thinking blue shorts or gold? I'll have updates to Salvador and Empire up momentarily.

Are you thinking blue shorts or gold? I'll have updates to Salvador and Empire up momentarily.

I originally thought blue, but you could try both.

I originally thought blue, but you could try both.

I tried the gold shorts, but it just clashed with the blue shirt. Salvador and Empire are updated on their posts.

The Home team! And one of my personal favorites.

Rs73OW5.png

Club Cup Appearances: 1 (2016)

Best Finish: N/A

2015 Season Result: 96 points (1st in North Pacific Super League)

Sapporo had floundered for years near the bottom of the NPSL table, Sapporo began a climb up the table in 2004, working their way up until winning their first trophy in 2008. This success was not short lived, as the Pheasants stayed near the top of the table, finally returning to the top in 2014, and then again in 2015, qualifying for their first ever Club Cup in the process. Their first Cup could not have come at a better time, as the competition will take place on home soil, with some of the games being played in Sapporo. If the Pheasants get drawn into Group C, they will play all of their games at their home stadium.

Stripes! These kits have a lot of them. I couldn't decide which of the colors I wanted to include, so I included all of them. Home features a clash kit is probably my favorite of the ones I've done. It features multicolored hoops like Bayern's clash from 2015.

C&C greatly appreciated.

From Japan up to Sweden

5QrsLYn.png

Club Cup Appearances: 4 (2016, 2014, 2012, 1998)

Best Finish: Quarterfinals (2014)

2015 Season Result: 95 points (1st in Baltic Throwball League)

Despite being the fourth most popular team in the BTL, Stockholm has never been known as big spenders. While cross town rivals Stockholm City and Finnish foes Helsinki Voyageurs have gone deep into their pocket books to make splashes in the transfer market, Stockholm TC has been content to slowly but surely acquire low budget transfers and bring up players from their youth system. While this system requires much luck with the young talent coming from the academy, Stockholm has had some gems come up in Giovanni Isaksson and Sebastian Hellburg. This veteran squad is experienced and knows how to win, so watch out.

Fairly simple design here. Definitely inspired by the Steelers. Logo is just two crossed axes behind a shield. The kits feature a Nordic pattern on the sleeves.
C&C greatly appreciated!

Moving Down Under for #9

exfriq2.png

Version 1

Spoiler

8WKo9d4.png

Version 2

Spoiler

u9OZEQ4.png

Club Cup Appearances: 3 (2016, 1998, 1994)

Best Finish: Quarterfinals (1994)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (1st in South Pacific Super League)

Kookaburras have reemerged from the shadow of their cross-town rivals, Sydneysiders TC with their first SPSL title in 17 years this season. An electric crowd and talented roster made Sydney the toughest team at home in the world, posting an astonishing 17-2-0-1 record at the Sydney SuperDome this season for 55 points. Their only home loss came to ‘Siders, who they share a stadium with. Losing this home-field advantage may be a struggle, but the Kookaburra’s supporters should flock in droves to Japan to cheer on their lads, and talented players like Chase Osborne, Raheem Salazar, and Atua Nakarolo can hang with any team on the globe.

I go back and forth on this logo. It was originally inspired by raysox's Magpies on Tyne logo, with just a simple outline of the bird with some coloring. Some times I look at it and really like it, some times I really don't. So it definitely could be changed based off of feedback. These jerseys are probably the loudest of the ones I've done, with bright blue from head to toe on the home, and a half blue/half brown clash. The clash I'm not particularly attached to, so if you have another idea, feel free to shout it out!

C&C appreciated!

EDIT: Just a heads up, Qualifying Round 1 wrapped up yesterday, which means Round 2 will be starting today. You can see all of the first round results and second round fixtures here.

Another team you might remember, this one with a few more changes

16063NQ.png

Club Cup Appearances: 8 (2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2002, 1998, 1996)

Best Finish: Champions (2002)

2015 Season Result: 94 points (1st in Mexican Throwball Federation)

Another fantastic season for Azteca led them to the Club Cup for the eighth time. But after failing to make the Knockout Round in 2014, big changes were needed. A roster overhaul saw the sales of many starters and bench contributors, and the bringing in of young talent like Odalis Soto and Andre Mayez. These skilled newcomers, along with vets Miguel Gutierrez and Julio Esparzo continue to dominate in Mexico, but a late season injury to Esparzo struck a potentially fatal blow to their Cup aspirations. With the entire month of January off, Azteca supporters hope Esparzo can heal and be in top form in February.

Pretty similar to my first concept, but a few major edits. First, Jaguar man is gone. I felt having two heads like that made the logo package seem disjointed, and it was tough to balance the two. Second, turquoise! It fits in with the Aztec theme while brightening up the palette. The home uniforms are pretty wild, with lots of stripes and colors. The clash is pretty basic in comparison, with an Aztec pattern sublimated on the shirt.

C&C appreciated, I hope I've improved some since my first attempt!

Moving Down Under for #9

8WKo9d4.png

Club Cup Appearances: 3 (2016, 1998, 1994)

Best Finish: Quarterfinals (1994)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (1st in South Pacific Super League)

Kookaburras have reemerged from the shadow of their cross-town rivals, Sydneysiders TC with their first SPSL title in 17 years this season. An electric crowd and talented roster made Sydney the toughest team at home in the world, posting an astonishing 17-2-0-1 record at the Sydney SuperDome this season for 55 points. Their only home loss came to ‘Siders, who they share a stadium with. Losing this home-field advantage may be a struggle, but the Kookaburra’s supporters should flock in droves to Japan to cheer on their lads, and talented players like Chase Osborne, Raheem Salazar, and Atua Nakarolo can hang with any team on the globe.

I go back and forth on this logo. It was originally inspired by raysox's Magpies on Tyne logo, with just a simple outline of the bird with some coloring. Some times I look at it and really like it, some times I really don't. So it definitely could be changed based off of feedback. These jerseys are probably the loudest of the ones I've done, with bright blue from head to toe on the home, and a half blue/half brown clash. The clash I'm not particularly attached to, so if you have another idea, feel free to shout it out!

C&C appreciated!

EDIT: Just a heads up, Qualifying Round 1 wrapped up yesterday, which means Round 2 will be starting today. You can see all of the first round results and second round fixtures here.

Absolutely love it! You've absolutely nailed the Kookas. Three things though.

- Logo could do with an eye

-Fix the stroke on the claws so it doesn't point out so much.

- Unis are perfect. However I would add a Southern Cross on the sleeve.If they're representing Australia they have to have something to show for it.

- Unis are perfect. However I would add a Southern Cross on the sleeve.If they're representing Australia they have to have something to show for it.

Sydney has been updated. I added an eye and fixed the claw, but I hesitate to put the Southern Cross on the kits. 14 other teams call Australia home, and Kookaburras will likely be joined in Japan by fellow Australian sides like Wollongong and Brisbane. I just feel that other Aussie teams would be offended by Sydney trying to "own" a national symbol like that. You probably know better than me, though, so let me know if I have it wrong.

Sydney has been updated. I added an eye and fixed the claw, but I hesitate to put the Southern Cross on the kits. 14 other teams call Australia home, and Kookaburras will likely be joined in Japan by fellow Australian sides like Wollongong and Brisbane. I just feel that other Aussie teams would be offended by Sydney trying to "own" a national symbol like that. You probably know better than me, though, so let me know if I have it wrong.
Not just Sydney, all of the Australian teams I meant.

Sydney has been updated with the Southern Cross on the right sleeve.

Now, we stay in North America for another team you might remember

rPak7Xt.png

Club Cup Appearances: 5 (2016, 2014, 2012, 2010, 1996)

Best Finish: Runners-up (2014)

2015 Season Result: 93 points (1st in Canadian Throwball Premiership)

Even though the Lamplighters won their third straight championship, this season was a far cry from the dominance of 2014. It looked like Toronto had the season wrapped up in mid October, but poor form over the last two months of the season made the race very interesting, with two teams finishing within a point of them at the end of the season. Defense has been a weakness throughout the season, with the midseason sale of Dez Tomlinson seeing Toronto drop into the bottom half of the CTP in goals allowed. But the offense was rated first in the League, and this firepower will have to carry the slacking defense through the Cup.

Pretty simple design for a team with almost 40 years of history. Almost identical to my original.
C&C away, and I'll post the last auto-qualifier tonight.

Archived